2011/10/4 nev young <pasiphae1...@yahoo.co.uk>

> On 03/10/11 23:40, Andrew Collier wrote:
>
>> On 3 Oct 2011, at 16:22, Thomas Harte wrote:
>>
>>  It looks like a previous owner of my current SAM has had occasion
>>> to replace resistor R55, or at least, to solder an additional copy
>>> of R55 on top of the existing one. See
>>> http://postimage.org/image/1g4kbz490/
>>>
>>> Immediate follow-on questions, mostly resulting from me being an
>>> electrical dunce, are: what does R55 do, what would be the likely
>>> effect if it was a bit dodgy and is it really okay just to solder
>>> an extra resistor on top of an existing one?
>>>

>> According to the schematics in the tech manual, R55 is doing
>> something to do with the MIC tape interface, and should be a 100kΩ
>> resistor - which if I'm reading the photo correctly (the colour bands
>> look {brown, black, yellow, gold}) is exactly what it is.
>>
>> Two of them wired in parallel are equivalent to a single resistor of
>> 50kΩ (assuming they both work) though I'm not certain what the
>> implication of that is for the rest of the circuit.
>>
>>  R55 and C28 form a feedback circuit that should "square up" the audio
> signal coming from the tape cassette.  Reducing R55 from 100K to 50K, by
> putting two in parallel, will increase the amount of feedback.
>
> The Bright signal is generated by the ASIC and appears on pin 18 (If I
> read my diagram correctly). It then goes to R65, R69 and R73 (all 36K
> [orange, blue, orange stripes]) to drive each of the colour driver
> transistors M3(green), M4(red) and M5(blue) (3x BC547).
>
> If you have lost bright on one colour look at the corresponding resistor
> and PCB connections. If the transistor has blown you would lose that
> colour completely. If you have no bright on any colour then check the
> output of the ASIC and the PCB connections from there to the 3 resistors
> for cracks, dry joints, broken through plating etc.
>
> If there is no signal coming out of the ASIC then get used to a dull
> life. :-(
>
> Nev
>
> My SAM has no BRIGHT too. There was a shortcut between Composite and +12V,
so the MC1377P was burned out (Just got a replacement by desoldering a Atari
Mega STE), I lost BRIGHT too as the ASIC was toasted a little too. After
replacing it with ASIC from my spare SAM the BRIGHT is back again.
It is time to design a replacement ASIC. Velesoft is working on one since
years, but he is too ambitious: 4096 Colours, Hardware sprites and
scrolling...

LCD