On 2 Feb 2012, at 10:43, Thomas Harte wrote:
> emulator authors tend to be quite parochial and superstitious about this
> stuff for some reason, hence e.g. the mostly invented black scan lines a lot
> of them like to insert.

I find a partial scanline effect helps soften a harsh pixelated image, and
reduce the softness of the filtering done during stretching with some video
drivers.  So even if they're not technically accurate I find it somehow looks a
bit more balanced than the pure image.  There's probably also an aspect that it
makes it look more generated, which fits with the feel of being emulated — so
you're probably right!