I think a lot of interesting (if blocky) games are possible in Mode 2 in
fake 64 x 96 mode.

I reckon a horizontally scrolling Zynaps style game might be quite possible.

I think I'd treat 0 - 7 and 8 - 15 as two separate palettes, maybe have
four common colours (including black and white) between them, and four
unique colours.

The unique colours could be used in some of the scrolling scenery, assuming
of course that there's at least one pixel of one of the common colours
horizontally between uses of the two sets of unique colours.

Working within those restrictions, I reckon some cool stuff is possible.

And yes, I had thought about Wolfenstein myself, too.  I always feel that
porting Wolfenstein is a tech demo, more than anything.  The game itself
isn't really that much fun anymore and feels dated.  (Whereas lots of
classic 8-bit games feel timeless...)

Anyway, just some thoughts if anyone ever has the time.  I don't, sadly;
I've got too many of my own non-SAM projects already.  I do feel that we,
as a community, spent too much time during the SAM's heyday trying to
emulate 16-bit graphics and sound when we could have created some highly
entertaining software by lowering out expectations and finding unique ways
of working within the limitations of the machine.

--
James R Curry
8...@itdoesntsuck.com