On 4/29/2013 09:05, Mauricio Alvarez wrote:
Michael,

    I really don't want to repartition--again! But yes, your idea is intresting.

You don't need to repartition; you could mount tmpfs on /mnt and use something like tmpfiles.d or a custom script to create the mountpoints therein at boot. That way you aren't actually wasting disk space for the /mnt directory, but you still get the benefit of having it separate from /.

If there really isn't any other option (really? no-one has ever had this
problem in the past?), I was thinking of something like this:
* Inside each disk, at the root level, create a single directory, call it
ROOTDIR01 for DISK1, ROOTDIR02 for disk2 etc.
* Modify the entries in smb.conf like so:
[STORAGE01]
path = /mnt/DISK1/ROOTDIR01
Guest OK = false
etc...

so, if no disk is mounted, we have only /mnt/DISK1 but no ROOTDIR01. If the
disk is mounted, the ROOTDIR01 is then visible and gets shared as [STORAGE01]

Also, the clients see [STORAGE01] as their root dir, ignoring the ROOTDIR01
sub-level

This is very crude, I wonder if it might work.

Wouldn't it be very simple to just create a VERY small partition (e.g. 10MB) on
the main drive
(the one that your system disk is on), and mount it on e.g. /mnt.

Then, even if one of your disks can't mount for some reason, only this very
small partition will
fill up => no problem for the rest of the system.

You would still have to configure your other machines to handle disk full
failures and maybe
subsequently try another share...

Michael

The first thought that came to my mind was usershares. You could write a udev rule that mounts a drive when it is connected and then calls `net usershare` to share it. It would take a lot of scripting, but it would do exactly what you want.

--
♫Dustin
http://dustin.hatch.name/