I'm surprised myself how often this comes up, but yes, there was
myself and another person who has recently come across this problem.
The Liq devs have said they're going to re-do this particular aspect
at some point to give the control we're looking for.

There was a patch at some point that let you remove the buffer of
songs entirely (which is what I need), but the patch didn't work for
me.

Maybe enough prodding by other users and we'll see this issue bump up
the priority list for the Liq devs.  I know it's the only thing
stopping me from deploying this on my production site. :)

- Rob