I think we have to go one step further.

Its nice to know what the attack patterns are. A better thing to do is to know how to identify them
during threat modeling, and then apply safeguards to mitigate the risk. ie: We need a merge of
thoughts from "Exploiting Software" and "Building Secure Software" into a
single source... where attack and defense can be spoken about together.

We all like to spout out that until you know the threats to which you are
susceptible to, you cannot build secure systems. The reality is, unless you
know how to MITIGATE the threats... simply knowing they exist doesn't do much
to protect the customer.

Gary McGraw wrote:

One of the reasons that Greg Hoglund and I wrote Exploiting Software was
to gain a basic underdstanding of what we call "attack patterns".  The
idea is to abstract away from platform and language considerations (at
least some), and thus elevate the level of attack discussion.

We identify and discuss 48 attack patterns in Exploiting Software.  Each
of them has a handful of associated examples from real exploits.  I will
paste in the complete list below.  As you will see, we provided a start,
but there is plenty of work here remaining to be done.

Perhaps by talking about patterns of attack we can improve the signal to
noise ratio in the exploit discussion department.

gem

Gary McGraw, Ph.D.
CTO, Cigital
http://www.cigital.com
WE NEED PEOPLE!

Make the Client Invisible
Target Programs That Write to Privileged OS Resources Use a User-Supplied Configuration File to Run Commands That Elevate
Privilege Make Use of Configuration File Search Paths Direct Access to Executable Files Embedding Scripts within Scripts Leverage Executable Code in Nonexecutable Files Argument Injection Command Delimiters Multiple Parsers and Double Escapes User-Supplied Variable Passed to File System Calls Postfix NULL Terminator Postfix, Null Terminate, and Backslash Relative Path Traversal Client-Controlled Environment Variables User-Supplied Global Variables (DEBUG=1, PHP Globals, and So Forth) Session ID, Resource ID, and Blind Trust
Analog In-Band Switching Signals (aka "Blue Boxing") Attack Pattern Fragment: Manipulating Terminal Devices Simple Script Injection Embedding Script in Nonscript Elements XSS in HTTP Headers HTTP Query Strings User-Controlled Filename Passing Local Filenames to Functions That Expect a URL Meta-characters in E-mail Header
File System Function Injection, Content Based
Client-side Injection, Buffer Overflow
Cause Web Server Misclassification
Alternate Encoding the Leading Ghost Characters
Using Slashes in Alternate Encoding
Using Escaped Slashes in Alternate Encoding Unicode Encoding UTF-8 Encoding URL Encoding Alternative IP Addresses Slashes and URL Encoding Combined Web Logs Overflow Binary Resource File Overflow Variables and Tags Overflow Symbolic Links MIME Conversion HTTP Cookies Filter Failure through Buffer Overflow Buffer Overflow with Environment Variables Buffer Overflow in an API Call Buffer Overflow in Local Command-Line Utilities Parameter Expansion String Format Overflow in syslog()

This electronic message transmission contains information that may be
confidential or privileged.  The information contained herein is intended
solely for the recipient and use by any other party is not authorized.  If
you are not the intended recipient (or otherwise authorized to receive this
message by the intended recipient), any disclosure, copying, distribution or
use of the contents of the information is prohibited.  If you have received
this electronic message transmission in error, please contact the sender by
reply email and delete all copies of this message.  Cigital, Inc. accepts no
responsibility for any loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly from
the use of this email or its contents.
Thank You.

Regards,
Dana Epp