Smashguard, if I recall correctly, offers approximately the protection
of existing compiler methods, but with the added fun of requiring
modified (non-existent) hardware.

The referenced hardware in the IEEE article and the intel.com pages
appears to be some descendant of Palladium; it is a hardware integrity
checker/attestation mechanism. A small, hardware-enforced core performs
a chain of crypto-checks prior to boot strapping the BIOS, and then the
OS, and makes itself available to applications. Thus an application can
(more or less) "prove" to a remote machine that the BIOS, kernel, and
application are in fact the "approved" versions that the remote machine
wants to see. The closest published work would be Bill Arbaugh's
dissertation and associated papers.

Real security benefit: remote machine can detect that your box has not
been rootkit'd.

Hoarding "benefit": remote machine can detect that you are running the
approved DRM-enforcing media player so that (for instance) it can
enforce that you only get to play that movie the specified number of
times and you don't get to copy it.

Malignant effect: Document master at an organization can make all
documents transient, so that whistle-blowers can no longer access the
documents they are trying to use to blow the whistle on such as, say,
Enron, WorldCom, or Abu Grab-ass.

Be very, very careful about tolerating strong-attestation hardware. The
implications are profound, for both good and evil.

Crispin

Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.                      http://crispincowan.com/~crispin/
Director of Software Engineering, Novell  http://novell.com