John Steven wrote:
> 2) Flaws are different in important ways bugs when it comes to presentation,
> prioritization, and mitigation. Let's explore by physical analog first.

Crispin Cowan responded:
> I disagree with the word usage. To me, "bug" and "flaw" are exactly
> synonyms. The distinction being drawn here is between "implementation
> flaws" vs. "design flaws". You are just creating confusing jargon to
> claim that "flaw" is somehow more abstract than "bug". Flaw ::= defect
> ::= bug. A vulnerability is a special subset of flaws/defects/bugs that
> has the property of being exploitable.

I'm not sure if this will clarify things or further muddy the waters,
but... partial definitions taken SWEBOK
(http://www.swebok.org/ironman/pdf/Swebok_Ironman_June_23_%202004.pdf)
which in turn were taken from the IEEE standard glossary
(IEEE610.12-90) are:
+ Error: "A differenceÂ…between a computed result and the correct result"
+ Fault: "An incorrect step, process, or data definition
          in a computer program"
+ Failure: "The [incorrect] result of a fault"
+ Mistake: "A human action that produces an incorrect result"

Not all faults are manifested as errors. I can't find an online
version of the glossary anywhere, and the one I have is about 15-20 years old
and buried somewhere deep under a score of other rarely used books.

My point is though, until we start with some standard terminology this
field of information security is never going to mature. I propose that
we build on the foundational definitions of the IEEE-CS (unless there
definitions have "bugs" ;-).

-kevin
---
Kevin W. Wall           Qwest Information Technology, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       Phone: 614.215.4788
"The reason you have people breaking into your software all
over the place is because your software sucks..."
 -- Former whitehouse cybersecurity advisor, Richard Clarke,
    at eWeek Security Summit