On 2/2/06, David Crocker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If some small bolt in my car fails because the bolt met its manufacturer's
> specification but was not strong enough to withstand the loads it was
> subjected
> to, that is a low-level design error, not a manufacturing error.

I agree.

> Similarly, I view coding errors as low-level design errors.

I disagree.

If the design says "For each fund that the user owns, do X" and my
code does X for
all the funds but it skips the most recently acquired fund, I see it as a
"manufacturing" error.

On the other hand, if a user sells all of her funds and the design
does not properly
contemplate the situation where no funds are owned and therefore the software
misbehaves, I see it as a "design" error.