I thought I'd run some command line tests outside of scalr on non-
critical farms to see how it reacts.

I've been browsing the amazon elastic-ip docs: http://tinyurl.com/27rs3s


Using the info in these docs, I have been able to associate a specific
elastic ip address to an instance using the ec2-api-tools at command
line. I actually mapped the ip address to an instance of a different
role than what scalr was showing in the Elastic IP Man screen.

ec2-associate-address -i i-myinstance xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Scalr actually shows the instance mapping on the Elastic IP - Man
screen. However as expected the role previously shown for the ip is
not changed to the role of the instance I mapped.

So based on this, I am assuming that Scalr does the following:
- has its own meta data about ip addresses that "map" roles to ip
addresses.
- When a new instance that needs an e-ip comes up in a farm, it checks
for an ip address that matches the instance role.

If this is true, I guess the request for feature would be:
- to be able to change the role assigned to an elastic-ip
- to be able to disassociate an ip address from a role.


Question:
- if I manually assign the e-ip like above, what will happen if that
instance goes down and scalr brings up a new instance? will it get the
orphaned ip? I'm guessing not since it was assigned outside of the
scalr system...




--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"scalr-discuss" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/scalr-discuss?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to