He means comments like

"14.Rad1 (Here I was thinking about 14.Rfd1 , but as the f-file might open
I kept the rook there )".

This used to be possible in Scid by entering 14.Rfd1 as a new variation,
and then go one move back -- you'd still be in the variation, but before
the move, and any comment added would be in the variation but before the
move. I don't know what the current interface does.

Remco