FWIW whenever I boot Kali and get stuck with Gnome 3 (at least that's what I think that abomination is), I can't do much of anything. It's actively worse than Win 10 / Mac OSX, though part of it might be the live CD part of it. In day to day I have converted many people to XFCE4 which seems far more sane, in _my_ experience.

James Pulver
CLASSE Computer Group
Cornell University