I have been reading this thread and post some of my observations and comments on the matters.

Much, if not all, experimental/hardware science and engineering systems applications (e.g., special drivers, modified interfaces and bus control, etc.) are targeted towards EL or the SuSE equivalent. There will not be a CentOS 9, although there had better be a RHEL9 unless IBM decides upon yet another path (because of for-profit business parameters, as well explained by another correspondent to this list who used very candid and honest language).

For example, at one time we put SuSE SLES (SuSE EL equivalent, just as Ubuntu LTS is aimed at the same sector) on a HPC compute engine that had a SAN and other infrastructure as well. SuSE was dismal because we bought the least expensive support level (not cradle-to-grave full handholding). We then switched to SL for RHEL, and at least one of the for-profit HPC vendors we used -- that was a subcontractor to US Government primary contractors -- also used SL. SL worked, and the hardware support software we needed (including modified drivers, etc.) was available, tested, and installable -- from this vendor. No games, no special support contracts, we did all of the software maintenance and verification such that things worked on our systems.

Again, as with SuSE, SL, and Ubuntu LTS, this was professionally ported and, in terms of bug fixes and sample configuration, etc., files, professionally supported by the vendor -- not amateur volunteers.

Cloud Linux looks -- again, looks -- as though it will be a SL type support, and presumably there there will be CL9 if RH is required to release the full source of RHEL9. CL 8 (and upon RHEL9, CL9) should (should -- not will) be compatible with all of the scientific/engineering hardware specific ("experiment-use") drivers, etc., to which correspondents have referred.

Springdale (Princeton EL) is a possibility, but it is unclear how long Springdale will have real professional support depending upon how Princeton internally allocates fiscal (and hence personnel) resources, and how much Springdale, like Fermilab and thus SL, depends upon discretionary support from the USA Federal government.

I have signed up for the Rocky EL list to keep abreast of the situation, but it appears Rocky EL will not have the paid professional support of SL (not cradle to grave hand holding) but rather volunteer developers, porters, testers, etc.

CentOS Stream, as with Fedora, and Ubuntu non-LTS is completely unsuitable for my uses. These can be not only "unstable", but have too many software defects (bugs) to of safe use. Moreover, continual professional support is necessary to mitigate threats (the various compromises that are in the wild) -- keep things up to date against the latest attacks.

There has been a discussion of the shorter life-cycle of Ubuntu LTS versus EL. In the case of CentOS 8, the life-cycle is much shorter than what seemed to be promised. However, the issue arises as to against which system (and application) libraries (typically, .so) a scientific application is built, and against which Linux kernel (and kernel "features"). EL 7 (SL, CentOS, etc.) may have a longer supported lifecycle, but if a vendor does not back-port a vital application (including a driver) to a "supported" environment that has been "obsolete" for many years, than the support will be meaningless. I recall once that we were required by a vendor of scientific equipment to support versions of the kernel and libraries that were not available for the "stable supported" Linux release we were using, and we were *FORCED* to migrate. Thus, the shorter time interval of LTS versus EL supported environments may not always be of real significance. However, the fact that some applications (including drivers) may not be available for Ubuntu (and in .deb from) but only for some variant of EL (in .rpm form) is of greater concern. Cloud Linux may be the answer here -- if the vendor really meets their promised time line.

Again, my own needs are such that it is unacceptable to have a volunteer (and in many cases, amateur) developer/support arrangement for "mission critical" systems and applications software.

Yasha Karant