Springdale EL (Princeton in my terminology, just as SL is Fermilab/CERN) shows the following:

Download
DVD

i386    x86_64
8.3     TBA     TBA

That is, there is no repo with an installable EL 8 ISO image. As for repos, Springdale shows:

If you are only looking to install some rpms, you can download our repositories on your system.

YUM Repositories for PUIAS 8? (NB: This text was thus shown as not [yet?] available.

If Sprindale is built from CentOS, then such a build will no longer be possible from CentOS Stream (a perpetual "beta" version, not a production distro). Springdale (and Rocky EL) and any future SL 8 -- were the HEP community to fund such (personnel, space, and hardware platforms) -- would need to get actual production RHEL 8 source from IBM RH pursuant to the Linux, GPL, etc., licenses. Such sources are not "pretty" and are deliberately designed to be "unfriendly" to build from source, even with removal of all of the proprietary "logo" IP. The idea of keeping SL 7 "alive" with perpetual backporting also may not be attractive. For now, until IBM RH announces for CentOS 7 what was announced for the to-be-defunct CentOS 8, CentOS 7 can keep SL 7 patched for security, albeit not necessarily for new hardware (e.g., backporting drivers) or supporting new CPU and system I/O architectures.

Yasha Karant