You state:

That has nothing to do with Linux and Red Hat. I do not know
why you bring it up.

End excerpt.

I respectfully disagree in so far as the issue concerns the future of whatever Linux (or other environment) that Fermilab/CERN and the "official" collaborations thereof use, and the HEP community in general. If Fermilab/CERN, etc., under restrictive covenant license substantially different from the GPL and/or Linux licenses, deploys an internal FCSL X, for some X, say, there is no guarantee that such an internal deployment would be released the same as the current SL or IAS Springdale. It might be released evidently as required by the GPL, etc., in source code, but in such a way as to making the building of a full executable environment ("OS") therefrom a very onerous task that highly under-provisioned academic research groups simply cannot undertake. Moreover, under whatever restrictive covenants the collaborations have (by any terms for such covenants that you wish), there thus would be no assurance that any of the collaborators could release such an "OS" were it come into internal existence. Clearly, Fermilab/CERN need to come to some sort of decision as to the path forward, as, save for licensing for fee, IBM RHEL 8 does not appear to be viable for the myriad uses in a HEP or similar environment. The fruits of that decision may not be made generally available, unlike SL.

As has been pointed out on this list, systems engineering requires planning and a planned path forward (with contingency plans, of course, for disaster recovery and the like), and a major issue many of us confront is what is the path forward? Such a path is vital, and has appeared without planning incident (but with a number of implementation and deployment issues, the typical discussion on this list) for the SLN to SLN+1 migrations prior to the demise of SL8. It is that demise that puts this sort of planning discussion onto this list. Alternatives, such as Ubuntu LTS have been discussed.