On 02/05/2014 02:44 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Andras Horvath <m...@log69.com> wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I know it's kinda too early to ask such thing, but based on TUV practices in
>> the past, could someone tell which month we could expect the release of
>> version 7? Based on that assumption, we could make something up about the
>> possibility of the SL 7 release date.
>>
>> The question arised to me because I need to migrate away from a system on
>> one of my workstation, and since I used Gnome 3 on Fedora for some time and
>> I'm fond of it, I wouldn't want to go now with version 6, so I was thinking
>> to pay for a standalone subscription for RHEL 7 and start using the beta
>> right away. At least I could test and get familiar with it until SL 7
>> arrives.  (Any hint on how stable it might be? :)
>>
>> Can we say, we can expect SL 7 before August? (adding up an estimated time
>> from RHEL beta now to RHEL release + SL buld and test)
>
> As you pointed it out yourself, the answer largely depends on when
> RHEL 7 comes out. In the case of RHEL 6, it took about 6 months from
> the beta to the GA release. But I doubt even Red Hat knows exactly
> when RHEL 7 will be released.

Also, don't forget about the recent announcement[1] that there is a
possibility that SL7 is going to be a CentOS variant. Which means we may
have to wait for CentOS 7 before the SL team really digs in and makes SL
7. That isn't for certain yet, I am just thinking that if it does go
that way then there might be a greater time frame between RHEL7 and SL7.
The point being, who knows how long it could be really. I bet even the
core devs of RHEL/Scientific/CentOS don't have a good time frame yet;
probably just est target dates which could easily slip.

[1] See Connie Sieh's post in the email thread "Centos / Redhat
announcement and Scientific Linux update"
"The anticipated release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 presents an
opportunity to consider forming/joining a CentOS Special Interest Group
and producing Scientific Linux 7 as a CentOS variant. ... This is only
being evaluated for Scientific Linux version 7."

My advice is to just test the RHEL 7 beta while it is in public beta and
go as far as you can with it. The more feedback now means a better
product at release.