I forgot the Children of Men guy did Potter as well.  In that case, I
would say he is an excellent choice if we could not have Peter Jackson.
I would also trust Del Toro's vision over Raimi these days.  I have not
Seen Pan Labyrinth.    While the critics rave, most people I know who
have seen it don't get that excited by it.  What did you think about
Pan's Labyrinth?