obstacle--or die trying.

From: Daryle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
1. I am ready for Martin to write his autobiography. You have one book sold
here, brother.
2. I agree 100% about ³push the mike aside and walk on. Recently, Japanese
pop singer Izumi Sakai died. She was member #1 and lead singer of the group
³ZARD², who have many popular hits. Izumi made, I believe, 5 or 6 TV
appearances over 10 years, unheard of for a popular Japanese singer. But it
was this that made her even more popular. Because you don¹t see her often,
when you did -- it was a big deal.

I believe that the ³paparazzi² problem in this country is a 50/50 shared
problem. You don¹t see Harrison Ford (for example) quoted or pictured in
tabloids because he lives on a ranch in Wyoming. So when he comes to
Hollywood, it¹s to work. The more accessible you are, the more you run the
risk of playing yourself. The math just catches up to you. Will has been in
everything from Men¹s Vogue to ‹ you name it ‹ to promote ³I Am Legend².
It¹s his way. So for this to be one misquote over something he¹s said -- not
bad. Now, make it difficult to get a Will Smith interview from now on, and
his problem is solved. Will has enough friends who know damn well he¹s not
saying Hitler was Œgood¹, and all of those friends have the ability to hire
him in the future. He¹s a brand. Nokia is also a brand. And there are
Nokia phones you can get for $20 at AT&T with a 2 year plan ‹ and there is
Vertu, Nokia¹s $5,000 phone you can buy that comes with concierge service.
You cannot send or receive email on a Vertu, and it¹s not even a great
looking phone, but it is such an exclusive brand that people drop the 5
grand and keep it moving. You are hard pressed to find an ad for Vertu. By
the time you see one, you¹ve already spent $32 on a magazine. So I¹m with
Johnny Depp. Let the work speak for itself, and move out of the way of the
³press². The money will come.

On 12/26/07 10:21 AM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i hear you, i feel for celebs and the fishbowls in which they live. Then there
> are the ones who *seek* the press, yet bemoan their treatment.
> okay, so what did you say (or do) after this fire?!

> From: Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:truthseeker_013%40yahoo.com> >
> I know that, in H'Wood, microphones are stuck in celebs' faces with annoying
> regularity, leaving them with no option but to say something. As we all know,
> too often, this evokes off-the-cuff responses that can be translated in a
> myriad of ways. Mind you, I'm not saying that Smith actually said anything to
> this effect, or defending the fact that he said it. Myself, I've only had one
> mike stuck in my face in my life, that at one of the worst possible moments of
> my life (as I watched my apartment burning). What I said was easily
> translatable and, had there not been two large members of DeKalb County's
> Finest on hand at the moment, would've resulted in a long term of
> incarceration for yours truly. IMO, the best thing to do in that sitch, not
> readily available for celebs like Smith, is to push the mike away and walk on.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:KeithBJohnson%40comcast.net> wrote:
> Statements like this almost always get you in trouble, no matter what you
> intend. Whenever you say that an evil person didn't set out to do evil, it's
> bound to cause issues. I'm not sure what the exact quote from Smith is, as he
> obviously seems to think he was misquoted...
>
> *******************
> http://www.examiner.com/a-1122731~Will_Smith_Angered_by_Misinterpretation.html
> LOS ANGELES (Map, News) - Will Smith is angry over celebrity gossip Web site
> articles that he said misinterpreted a recent remark he made in a Scottish
> newspaper about Adolf Hitler. In a story published Saturday in the Daily
> Record, Smith was quoted saying: "Even Hitler didn't wake up going, 'let me do
> the most evil thing I can do today.' I think he woke up in the morning and
> using a twisted, backwards logic, he set out to do what he thought was
> 'good.'"
> The quote was preceded by the writer's observation: "Remarkably, Will believes
> everyone is basically good."
> Over the weekend, dozens of celebrity gossip Web sites posted articles about
> the comment, many saying that Smith believed that Hitler was a "good" person.

> "There is no reason Good can't triumph over Evil, if only angels will get
> organized along the lines of the Mafia." -Kurt Vonnegut, "A Man Without A
> Country"

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: