i hear you. i don't own a Vista computer, but i try to keep up with new trends
in IT so i know what to expect.  There's enough differences in its structure to
make working with it a chore.

From: Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Keith, I wish that as many people took the time to note thiese glitches as you
do. In two other groups I post in, I've had people asking for advice about comp
problems. The minute they type in the word "Vista", I know where their trouble
comes from.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: they keep trying to sell all these extra features with
each new OS: enhanced multimedia capabilities, better security, expanded Office
Suites, etc. But all they do is add more junk that causes lockups, blue screen,
adds more security holes, and adds more support headaches. Windows Millennium
is a prime example. It was hailed as a multimedia OS, able to work with digital
cameras, MP3 players, etc. it sucked and everyone hated it. XP was supposed to
be the super secure, Internet/network friendly OS, with features like an
improved Windows Firewall. But Firewall gets on my nerves (I always turn it
off), and trust me: XP is a security nightmare. At my job, every month we have
to make sure the entire network gets the latest Windows updates and security
patches.

The reason consumers should prefer things like Linux and Apple is that they
work more seamlessly. Unless you really want to fiddle with your computer all
the time, you need an OS that's more stable. cut some of the overblown features
in favor of stability.

along those lines Vista's not a hit. It's had lots of problems and bugs,
requiring users to seek support and download patches. It's also different
enough in basic structure and functionality to provide a significant learning
curve. Two weekends ago i was helping a friend's father setup his Vista PC.
Even basic things such as figuring out how to modify the Startup folder,
searching for All Users, etc., was a headache because of the changes to the
file and directory structure. Microsoft then put about several different
versions for home, school, business, etc., which muddies the waters.

From: "Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. Minor)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Programmers do not like Vista as Microsoft, so why is the public
supposed to?