I like quite a few Richard Pryor movies. I don't think he ever found
the perfect part but I loved him stuff like Which Way Is Up?, Blue
Collar, Stir Crazy and Jo Jo Dancer. He also stole the show in
smaller roles like the ones in Lady Sings The Blues, Bingo Long,
Uptown Saturday Night, Car Wash, etc.

--- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Baxter"
<truthseeker...@...> wrote:

> I don't like a single movie Pryor ever did. Every time I stumble
across one, I'm left saddened, seeing how his true chops were, mostly
because of That Evil Pipe. Heck, he was supposed to play Sheriff Bart
in "Blazing Saddles".

 Subject : Re: [scifinoir2] Re: Will Smith -- The Only Sure Thing At
The Box Office

 Date : Mon, 16 Feb 2009 16:29:38 -0500

 From : Daryle Lockhart <dar...@...>

 To : scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com

Richard Pryor was the man, but let's face it...he's done more BAD
> films than good ones.
>
> Will Ferrell was "eh" until "Anchorman", because if you look at it,
> the best Will Ferrell is him playing offa Cheri Oteri. Christina
> Applegate proved herself to be a great straight man but doesn't get
> overshadowed. Will has never done any better than "Anchorman", in
my
> opinion. It's his best picture. He will never outdo it. I don't
think
> Land Of the Lost is going to be a great Will Ferrell movie as much
> as it's going to be "this is what Brendan Fraser should be doing".
>
> On Feb 16, 2009, at 4:20 PM, Martin Baxter wrote:
>
> > Daryle, we didn't see the same movie.
> >
> > To me, Ferrell has been a one-note band for years. Maybe I just
> > don't get his stuff. It's been a long time since I synched with
> > comedians. Blame Richard Pryor for being so great...
> >

> > ---------[ Received Mail Content ]----------
> >
> > Subject : Re: [scifinoir2] Re: Will Smith -- The Only Sure Thing
> > At The Box Office
> >
> > Date : Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:48:28 -0500
> >
> > From : Daryle Lockhart
> >
> > To : scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
> >

> > I submit that "Anchorman" is possibly Will Ferrell's greatest
film.
> > Also, it may be one of the greatest comedy films of the last 10
> > years. Except for the fact that it's the whitest movie since
> > Sophie's Choice, It's a flawless cast with flawless acting. I say
> > this after just watching Tropic Thunder. That's my submission, and
> > I am open to debate.
> >

> > On Feb 16, 2009, at 12:37 PM, B. Smith wrote:
> >
> >> No love for Anchorman?
> >>
> >> --- In scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com, Keith Johnson

> >> him had built, I sat down and watched "Talladega Nights" where
he was
> >> NASCAR racer "Ricky Bobby", and laughed my butt off. But that was
> >> only the second or third movie I'd seen him in. I also enjoyed
his
> >> more subtle turn in "Stranger Than Fiction", the movie where his
life
> >> was literally being controlled by an author's keystrokes.
And "Elf"
> >> gave me some chuckles as well. I think I saw "Elf",
then "Stranger
> >> Than Fiction", then "Talladega Nights", giving me silly comedy,
> >> subtle comedy/drama, then silly comedy again. That was
sufficient.

His
> >> turns in the films about ice skating and basketball, for
example, are
> >> all variations of the same Ricky Bobby scheme, so I avoided
them. He
> >> has the looks and I think the chops to do other stuff. I don't
know
> >> if he can carve the niche of understated, nuanced actor that Bill
> >> Murray has found for his career. But I think he might be able to
do
> >> at least as well as Adam Sandler, who's actually not half bad
when he
> >> backs off the stupid comedies and reigns himself in for roles
like
> >> that in "Spanglish", or "50 First Dates". Ferrell has had
training,
> >> like many comedians he gets the drama underlying life, and I
think he
> >> could start branching out a bit more.

> >> or fame in really silly, over-the-top roles, who can also pull
off
> >> the more subtle stuff. Not everyone can do both: Chevy Chase, for
> >> example. But actors like Steve Martin, Sandler, Murray, Robin
> >> Williams, Eddie Murphy (he has the ability, just not the will I
> >> guess), Steve Carell all have that talent,and I think Ferrell
does
> >> too. He's made the dough, now it's time to stretch...

The
> >> Box Office

> >> it was due to your own mental self-defenses kicking in...

The
> >> Box Office

> >> I'm much more likely to see a flick with Don Cheadle, Chiwetel
> >> Ejiofor, Clive Owen, Viggo Mortensen, Robert Duvall. Maybe De
Niro if
> >> it's not Meet the Parents or Righteous Kill type crap. And I'd
> >> actually place Clooney higher up on my list than Smith. In fact,
> >> can't remember the last time I saw a movie because Smith was in
it. I
> >> saw "Hancock" and "I Am Legend" because they were scifi,
and "Hitch"
> >> because it was a romantic comedy I could share with my wife. The
> >> other males below, I'll certainly consider--especially Damon and
Di
> >> Caprio--but depends on the type of movie they're in. I will say,
I do
> >> wish Christian Slater were still doing good work, for he'd
certainly
> >> be on my list.

Angela
> >> Bassett (keep hoping she finally finds the roles that utilize her
> >> massive talent), Meryl Streep (who's really impressed me with her
> >> continually good work as she gets older), Kimberly Elise
(woefully
> >> underappreciated actress), Taraji P. Henson (hard not to be
engaged
> >> with, even with unintentionally funny stuff like "He don't love
me
> >> no 'mo'!" in "Baby Boy"), Cate Blanchett, Jodi Foster, Queen
Latifah
> >> (good dramatic and comedic actress), Sanaa Lathan.

> >> people away. For me, that would include Adam Sandler (don't get
his
> >> humour), Pauly Shore (how does he get work?), Jim Carey (most of
his
> >> stuff is too manic for me), David Spade (loved him on TV, can't
abide
> >> his film work), Mila Jovovich (horrible movie choices), Kate
Hudson
> >> (she's sure to star in wretched romantic comedies that make you
gag).

US/Canada
> >> Eastern
Box
> >> Office

> >> marquee guarantees a movie's success, according to most
analysts. In
> >> Forbes magazine's Star Currency survey, Smith was the only film
star
> >> to receive a perfect score of 10. Others in the top ten included:
> >> Leonardo DiCaprio , Angelina Jolie , Brad Pitt , Tom Hanks ,
George
> >> Clooney , Denzel Washington , Matt Damon , Jack Nicholson , and
Julia