To be honest, I still can't figure out why.

Apparently it had something to do with there being X number of
episodes ordered, but they produced x+1 episodes because they retooled
the pilot, so Fox didn't show the last episode.

Epitaph one, the final ep, was very neat, and took the show in an
interesting direction.

Justin