Sorry, i love the Easy Rawlins novels. Great characters, great mysteries. I can
see how it might have gotten him pigeonholed, though...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kelwyn" <ravena...@yahoo.com>
To: scifinoir2@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:33:20 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [scifinoir2] Re: Hollywood Extinction: Old Dinosaurs die at Box Office

Although he was great at it ("Face Off"), John Woo was not a fan of the
formulaic movies he was making. After MI-2, he thought he had the cachet to
make the kind of movie he wanted. He made "Windtalkers" (2002) a
well-intentioned movie starring Nicholas Cage that took in $77 million
worldwide ($40 million in America) on a budget of $115 million. "Windtalkers"
is his "Heaven's Gate."

This is why I don't write that urban lit shit even though I know I can get it
published - I don't want to HAVE to write it. It is hard to get out of any
ghetto. Walter Mosley wants to write SF but he wrote the Easy Rawlins' novels
to get published. Now he is pigeon-holed as a detective fiction writer. It
ain't terrible; but it ain't good, either.

~rave!