As stated earlier, a big -1 from my side on moving to all Python 3.x for 0.14
already. Not because I personally don't think it provides some benefits, but
let me explain:

I don't see enough of a benefit of replacing a few np.dot's with the @ syntax
or pure keyword based arguments for the few functions we add/change in one
version jump. It doesn't make the code faster, more correct or more feature
complete. The API will look and work the same from a users perspective from
2.7-3.5. Required features (which are usually rare) from newer numpy/scipy
versions can be handled easily inside the respective functions with an
exception.

In my experience, many of the scikit-image users I know are actually less
knowledgable about how to setup a new Python environment from scratch. And it
seems the latest Ubuntu is still on 3.4 and Mac also doesn't ship with 3.5 -
which leaves out the @ syntax anyway. Also, many of the cluster users are still
stuck on 2.x for quite a while. I think, we will lose a significant amount of
users without a real benefit.

I don't see a compelling reason to lock out X% of users at this point. I can
only judge by the feedback in this thread, but 3 out of 5 people seem to have
problems with the proposed way forward. It would be nice if there was some way
of obtaining installation statistics from PyPI or Anaconda to get a better
picture here.

The real benefit comes with 3.5, hence I propose to follow the current model to
support 2.7-3.x and reevaluate the situation for 0.15. Eventually, 3.5 will be
more widespread and in the meantime we do not really sacrifice anything on our
side. Doing a find/replace on np.dot/__future__ will work in a year just as
fine as it does now.

Best,
Johannes