A small factual correction:

On Wednesday, 10 August 2016 05:14:49 UTC+1, Johannes Schönberger wrote:

> And it seems the latest Ubuntu is still on 3.4...

This is not accurate - Ubuntu 16.04 (the LTS release that came out in April
this year), has Python 3.5:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/python3

Ubuntu 15.10 is no longer supported (non-LTS releases get 9 months
support). Of course there will still be users on 14.04, and even 12.04, for
some time.

I don't want to push an aggressive policy on the project, but I would
encourage you to make plans for dropping Python 2 support at some time in
the next few years, and sign http://python3statement.github.io/ . I know
this may feel like 'users vs developers' at the moment, but I don't think
it's that simple. The split between Python 3 and 2 has been causing users
headaches for several years now. The only realistic way to end this is to
complete the transition, so that Python 3 becomes the standard answer for
everything but large legacy codebases. There's little impetus to make
Python 3 available in institutional environments so long as people assume
that all important Python projects will always support Python 2. So when we
make this decision as a community, rather than individual projects, I think
it ultimately helps both users and developers. These groups also have
common interests - developers who spend less effort on compatibility work
can pay more attention to more interesting improvements.

With the Python 3 statement, we believe we're setting a relaxed timetable:
projects only commit to dropping Python 2 support by 2020, which is still
four years away. We expect to be on Python 3.7 by that time. The aim is not
to leave Python 2 users in the lurch, but to give everyone plenty of notice
that support for Python 2 will come to an end, so that they can plan a
transition in good time.

Thanks,
Thomas