Thanks everyone!

I've made a "master issue" to track progress on this:
https://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image/issues/3009

Let's continue the discussion there. If anyone wants to tackle anything
in the to-do list, we would be very grateful! skimage will be a much
nicer package when all those tick-boxes are ticked. =)
Juan.