I am +1 on a plan, since it's helpful for newbies like myself in
orienting themselves, and helps focus developer effort.

That said, the breadth of this project is pretty amazing, and it's
probably a good idea to keep classifiers which are up-and-coming in
academia available. I guess I'm voting for both.

:)

Andrew

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM, Andreas Mueller
<amuel...@ais.uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> Hi everybody.
> Long and general mail coming on.
> TL;DR version: do we want to plan for the future?
>
> Today I read this blog post on the scope of open source projects:
> http://brianegranger.com/?p=249
>
> It made me dig up an old mail draft I wrote after reading a post by Gael:
> http://www.slideshare.net/eleddy/i-wish-i-knew-how-to-quit-you
>

> I realized then that we don't really make any plans. Sometimes people
> (mostly me)
> tag some issues to certain releases but that's it.
> There is some vague idea, pushed mainly by Gaƫl that we want to do a
> 1.0 in the not-so-far future, but there is no list of features that we
> want (I created
> a milestone and assigned random bits, not sure if any one noticed).
>
> I wanted to ask: should we try to make plans? We get a lot of PRs and
> have more and more contributors and I think it might be nice
> if we had some form of road map to give everything a bit more direction.
>
> I know that people mostly contribute algorithms they are using in research,
> and that is great, because that makes for high-quality code.
> I am not sure, though, for how long the "hey look, I coded this cool
> estimator
> which I used in my latest paper" strategy is feasible.
>
> There are also several classes of algorithms that we haven't really
> touched on that
> might be in the scope and might "creep" into sklearn without really any
> discussion.
>
> I'm thinking mainly about ranking, collaborative filtering, structured
> prediction (in particular sequences),
> metric learning, graphical models (and some more).
>

> Maybe the project is still small enough that our current approach might
> work,
> but with more and more new contributors, I thought it might be good to
> think a little
> bit about where we want to go.
>

> Cheers,
> Andy