> On Sep 16, 2016, at 7:26 AM, Honza Horak <hho...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> I'm afraid I won't have a clear answer right now, but will try to help at
> least where I can.
>
> On 09/16/2016 04:11 AM, Noah Kantrowitz wrote:
>> Okay, to get the disclaimer out of the way, I understand that SCLo/CentOS
>> packages are not supported by RedHat. I'm trying to get my Chef SCL code to
>> work on RHEL again (CentOS works great via centos-release-scl). The official
>> (from what I can tell) solution is `subscription-manager repos --enable
>> rhel-server-rhscl-{6,7}-rpms`. The problem is this fails on most cloud-y
>> RHEL installs as the EC2/Rackspace/whatever images don't come with a
>> subscription setup and thus even though they (I think, the cloud licenses
>> are weird and bespoke) could use the SCL subscription, the system won't
>> allow it.
>
> So, are you're hitting the issue described in
> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/1120983?

Except replace "EC2" with any other provider (Rackspace, Google Cloud, Azure,
etc).

>> EC2 has a (custom?) solution for this with a local RHUI server in each
>> region that can be used to set up the SCL repository. This server is not
>> reachable from outside EC2 though, so doesn't help on other cloud platforms.
>
> It seems like the solution above does work for EC2 but not for other
> providers, right? In any case, I'd recommend to contact RH support, they
> already might have seen issues like this and might have a solution.

Yes, but solving it for EC2 required Amazon to deploy quite a bit of
infrastructure and modify their base images so I don't think this is likely to
be a short-term help unless every cloud vendor does the same.

>> The next thing I thought to try is to use the SCLo/CentOS repositories
>> directly for cloud users as they probably don't care too much about support
>> or they would have set up a subscription. I can't figure out a stable way to
>> do that though. From https://github.com/sclorg/centos-release-scl, I can do
>> `yum-config-manager
>> --add-repo=https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/rhscl/centos-release-scl/repo/epel-7/rhscl-centos-release-scl-epel-7.repo`
>>  but this only activates the sclo/ repo, not rh/ so I can't install the
>> recompiles of the RHSCL packages (i.e. most of them).
>
> The problem I have with this particular solution is that SCLo packages from
> CentOS were never meant to be run on RHEL, nobody tests them on RHEL and
> simply said for RHEL the solution is RHSCL channel. Although I understand you
> might be frustrated by not being able to do it simply the correct way..

This is no longer about correct or incorrect, I just want anything that works.

>> I could set the http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/sclo/x86_64/rh/ repository
>> manually, but I would need a copy of the GPG to import. I've filed
>> https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=11468 to request the GPG key be made
>> available via centos.org but I would imagine any changes there will take
>> some time.
>>
>> So with that wall of text, what's the best way to get SCL packages on RedHat
>> for _all_ RHEL users?
>
> That's exactly which way we should focus on, but I'm not able to help right
> now, since I don't have enough information about it. I'll try to fill gaps in
> my knowledge, but as mentioned above, I'd recommend to contact the RH support
> with this problem.

How do I contact RH support for something like this?

--Noah