> On Sep 19, 2016, at 12:32 AM, Honza Horak <hho...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 09/16/2016 08:27 PM, Noah Kantrowitz wrote:
>>
>>> On Sep 16, 2016, at 7:26 AM, Honza Horak <hho...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm afraid I won't have a clear answer right now, but will try to help at
>>> least where I can.

>>> So, are you're hitting the issue described in
>>> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/1120983?
>>
>> Except replace "EC2" with any other provider (Rackspace, Google Cloud,
>> Azure, etc).

>>> It seems like the solution above does work for EC2 but not for other
>>> providers, right? In any case, I'd recommend to contact RH support, they
>>> already might have seen issues like this and might have a solution.
>>
>> Yes, but solving it for EC2 required Amazon to deploy quite a bit of
>> infrastructure and modify their base images so I don't think this is likely
>> to be a short-term help unless every cloud vendor does the same.
>
> I see. But I don't understand why RHSCL is the problem and RHEL packages are
> not (or are they?). If the subscription does not work at all, then users are
> not able to install any packages, not only RHSCL, right? Since RHSCL packages
> often need something from the base RHEL, would it help at all to install SCL
> packages "the temporary way"? Or is it just problem of RHSCL channel that is
> problematic?

When RedHat partners with a cloud provider to offer RHEL, they work out
something for package installs where no subscription is set up but you can
still install things. It just seems like only Amazon has also worked out
something for optional repos and other cloud providers only get the back
repo/package set.

--Noah