All this talk of 70s folk groups has had me racking my brains, and I've
come with a few groups I remember seeing in pubs etc, although I can't
remember much about the actual groups. It's either because it was a long
time ago, or because beer was cheap and flowing. Bit of both I imagine.

ST CLEMENTS WELLS played in many Edinburgh pubs and had quite a local
following. I've no idea who was in the group, or what they sounded like,
but I did see them plenty of times. I think they were one of a few folk
rock bands around in those days. Another one was

THE MEDIUM WAVE BAND, some of whom later became RED FOX. Again, I can't
remember what the music was like.

NEW CELESTE, who billed themselves as "Scotland's No.2 folk band" - I
wonder who was #1?

I also looked out a couple of old 'what's on' mags from the 70s, and some
of the acts mentioned are:

16 STRING JACK: a trio consisting of "two guys and a gal"; guitars,
mandolin, and cello played by "Wendy who also supplies some vocals".

NORFOLK, who used to play in Le Bistro, and made a record, which I have.
FARGILL who played at The Yellow Carvel, one of my haunts back then.
THE ALEXIANS (Kelly's Cavern)
CARTER BAR, MOLLY MCGUIRES; DAPPLE GRIM (folk rock band from Glasgow)

and

CLANNAICH, a "new four-piece risen from the apparently bottomless melting
pot of the Sandy Bell's sessions..."

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]