Jonathan Hill wrote:

> Hi Toby! Yes, I can imagine! How about if the music were less accessible? My
> idiosyncratic sense of timing might help? Anyway, these weeks of sitting by
> the phone Saturdays have paid off...got a gig tonight (pub, natch!)
> Jonathan
> (PS, I take it you mean 'pissed' as in irritated rather than irrigated?)

        Yes, buggered, not blotto :-) There are actually a few coffee houses
here that would probably be receptive to the music. However the problem
is that it's culturally very alien to this region. They *really* don't
get it.
        Then in places where it's part of the culture, like Nova Scotia, there
are, for lack of a better term "music and culture Nazi's". Basically
they're convinced they own the music, and if you are from more then 50
miles away and aren't 100% genetically Scottish from Inverness County,
then your music is worthless, regardless of how good it might be. Plus
there's no way you can know anything about the music. Funny thing is
most of those "music and culture Nazi's" in Nova Scotia are
non-musicians and are too lazy to even learn the native tongue of their
ancestors, so it's pretty much been totally replaced with English. What
is traditional music without it's native tongue? About 50% of what it
could be. The most accepting people there are actual musicians.
        Quite honestly the combination of those factors have pretty much
dampened my intensity, energy and focus towards playing the music for
awhile now. Somehow all that BS managed to get under my skin and take
all the fun out of it.
        I got so upset by this all that I just starting spending time doing
things with more objectively measurable standards of acheivement.
        I think I am healing though. At least I can talk about it now.

Toby