Kate Dunlay wrote:

> On Sunday, October 5, 2003, at 04:51 PM, Nigel Gatherer wrote:

> > Somewhere I saved James Scott Skinner's list of colours which he
> > assigned the various keys on the fiddle. Where did I put it?

> I don't know about colours, but here's how he characterized the keys
> in "A Guide to Bowing":

> C major  Bold, but piercing

[Snip]

I think I must have remembered wrongly about the colours, but that's
just what I was after. Thanks, Kate. In my Intermediate Mandolin class
I'm spending 3 or 4 weeks on a particular key before moving on to the
next. We're doing A major and A pentatonic at the moment before moving
on to D. The tunes we're doing for A are "Fear a' Phige", "Little Liza
Jane" (American old-time), "Put Me In the Big Chest" and "Steer Kimmer".

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
Friday-Monday: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]