Hi Bob, I agree with you about Laura; I attended a workshop she gave out
here in Summer 2002 and she's a great teacher.  I have her CD "The Merry
Making" which I like quite a bit, but I was initially disappointed in it
because I'd first heard her play for a dance I attended and her playing on
the CD was nothing like what she did at the dance; that was much more
spirited and jazzy, where the CD is more polished and much tamer.  I
suppose some of that is just the difference between sitting down in the
studio and recording vs. playing live for a group of appreciative dancers!
 I think it's not that there aren't a lot of Scottish CDs out there
(although I'll agree that there are probably a lot more Irish recordings);
it's just that so many of them are so hard to find here in the States.  I
end up going online to MusicScotland.com for a lot of my purchases.
Regarding performances of older tunes, have you heard Elke Baker?  She's
based more or less in your area, in Maryland.  In addition to being a
superb fiddler (former US National Scottish fiddle champion) she's a music
scholar and tends to unearth fairly obscure old tunes; her CD liner notes
have a lot of detailed info on tune sources & history, etc.  I own 2 CDs
by her:  Over the Border and Glenelg, and can recommend them both (of the
2, Over the Border is my current favorite but that might be because I only
recently purchased it, whereas Glenelg has been on my frequently-played
list for a couple years now).  BTW, Elke is also the only fiddler I know
who can simultaneously play and dance a Highland Fling! -Steve

--
Steve Wyrick - Concord, California