Steve Wyrick wrote:

You're right that there are a lot of sterile SCD recordings out
there (particularly some of the ones accompanying the Society
publications) but they're usually as little fun to dance to as they are to
listen to.  There are certain ones my SCD teacher uses, typically because
there isn't anything else available, that we always groan at; we might as
well just be dancing to a metronome!  Although Scottish dance recordings
obviously need to be in strict tempo, and tend to be fairly repetitive by
nature, I don't think that necessarily precludes being musically
interesting

Absolutely! Music with guts is just alot more interesting all-the-way-around..
There's not exactly a big market for recording SCD dance CD's though, and you're not exactly allowed a whole lot of creative freedom with some of the SCD dance sets :-) So it doesn't surprise me that you don't usually find people's most inspiring performances on those recordings. :-)