Sun, 30 Aug 2009 04:20:54 -0400, Kartik Thakore <thakore.kar...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andreas which version of SDL perl did you try for windows? If you
> would have gotten v2.2.2.5 (sorry for the stupid version names), it
> would have required Alien::SDL v0.02 which should have gotten the bare
> minimum of deps needed on windows.

The newest SDL clearly states it doesn't work with Windows at all, and
Alien::SDL doesn't even download:

  CPAN.pm: Going to build K/KT/KTHAKORE/Alien-SDL-0.02.tar.gz

Fetch failed! HTTP response: 403 Forbidden [403 Forbidden] at inc/Utility.pm
lin
e 78
Use of uninitialized value $where in concatenation (.) or string at
inc/Utility.
pm line 79.
Got archive
Key 'archive' () is of invalid type for 'Archive::Extract::new' provided by
inc:
:Utility::get_SDL_deps at inc/Utility.pm line 80
Can't call method "extract" on an undefined value at inc/Utility.pm line 81.
Warning: No success on command[C:\strawberry\perl\bin\perl.exe Build.PL ]
  KTHAKORE/Alien-SDL-0.02.tar.gz
  C:\strawberry\perl\bin\perl.exe Build.PL  -- NOT OK

So, I have been trying every now and then to collect the deps required to
build an older version of SDL-Perl, 1.20.3

I was able to build SDL once, back in 2006. Even got a 3D engine working
http://floyd.atc.no/Programming/Perl/Offworld/screenshots/
At one time I tried to upgrade, the build failed and I was never able to get
it working again.

> > Until these hurdles are solved, the number of people both willing
> > and able to
> > TEST SDL-Perl on Windows will remain stable at near zero, and the
> > irregular
> > attempts to resurrect the project are almost guaranteed to fail.
> Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I did not mean to offend anyone. I realize that this is not actually a
SDL-Perl problem but rather a fundamental issue with SDL itself. The most
obvious solution would be to make the dependencies available for download
directly from sdl.perl.org

I would not get frustrated if I didn't care :-/

--
Andreas Lund (fl...@atc.no)
Tel: +47 90077162