This looks good to me Max. I think it'll solve the issue reported.

line 109 : I guess this could turn negative if timeLimit was value < 60. I don't think that's possible unless we're dealing with a strange config!

For the code comment, may a minor edit :

 111         // Only trigger a cleanup when very old entries exist
 112         // (lifespan + 1 min ago). This ensures a cleanup is done
 113         // at most every minute.

Regards,
Sean.