Actually, having come from a shop where we really do run our J2EE apps
in a distributed/clustered environment on mostly large IBM AIX and Z/OS
(mainframe) hardware/software, my suggestion was, at least partially, serious.

However, its up to you to decide at what point the cost of the
infrastructure is higher than what the application requires.

For example, in our shop, we use IBM's MQ-Series product heavily and
have a "middleware" team specifically for helping applications architect its
use as well as being responsible for its configuration and daily support.
This makes the use of things like MDBs a "no brainer" for async processing.
If you do not already have this type of support structure, it can be
very expensive to put one together for just one or two applications.

For applications where the vast majority of http requests require little
"clock on the wall" time, by doing work that takes long enough to warrant
a "busy" page on the servlet request threads risks a potentially
unintended "denial of service" attack on your server.

My own background is that of a mainframe assembly language programmer on a
team of people who supported a "home grown" TP monitor that is much like
and predates IBM's CICS product. By the way, this TP monitor is still in use
today and can still perform well on a machine that is running at 99% cpu busy.
I guess that makes me a bit sensitive to how the applications use/abuse
the supporting infrastructure. After having spent years preaching to
application programmers how queueing theory works and getting transaction
response times measured in the milliseconds, I still find it difficult to
imagine building an application where 10+ second response times are
"acceptable".

John Zerbe - Mellon Financial Corp.
Information Technology Solutions - Middleware Team
Phone:  412-234-1048   E-Mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIM: 153-1315