David Orriss Jr wrote:

Hey,

Jason Hunter wrote the 2nd edition 4 years ago.  Since then we have the 2.4
spec and I'm sure a bunch of other goodies.  Anyone know why Jason hasn't
done a 3rd Ed yet?

Hi David,

Let me see if I can answer your question.  (If I can't, who can, eh?)

It's something I've given thought to.  As of yet I haven't been
convinced that it's a project I should undertake.  It's a ton of work.
The 2nd Edition, for example, took nine months of effort.

The way I see a 3rd Edition, I'd have two options...

I could do a somewhat minor update to bring the book up to the latest
spec levels (what will be Servlets 2.5 shortly), and not expand the
focus very much, actually shrink the book probably.  That would
definitely help people feel more comfortable buying the book than an
edition last published in 2001, and it wouldn't require huge amounts of
effort.

Or I could do a major update that talked at some length about the
technologies built on servlets and where servlets fit into the big
picture these days.  Show servlets as controllers, etc.  The focus of
Sun and open source groups writing server-side Java has moved higher up
the stack than servlets.  So should the book move up the stack too?
This approach would take a lot of time, and honestly I'd rather be
writing about Ruby on Rails than JSF.  :)

From a time management and enjoyment of life perspective, Approach One
looks much more appealing.  But, David, are you wanting that or an
Approach Two kind of book?

-jh-