On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 07:32:00PM +0530, Himanshu Joshi wrote:
>    On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 6:59 PM, William Hay <w....@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>      On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 04:43:08PM +0530, Himanshu Joshi wrote:
>      >      As root:
>      >      source /opt/sge/default/common/settings.sh
>      >      qconf -ae
>      >
>      >    Thanks,Please find the outputs and advise
>      >    [root@mbialjpj ~]# source /opt/sge/default/common/settings.sh
>      >    SGE_ROOT=/opt/sge: Command not found.
>      >    export: Command not found.
>      >    SGE_ROOT: Undefined variable.
>      >    [root@mbialjpj ~]# qconf -ae
>      >    qconf: Command not found.
>      That is a little odd.  The settings.sh file should work with most bourne
>      like shells.
>

>      Try source /opt/sge/default/common/settings.csh instead
>
>      echo $SHELL as root to see what shell you are running under.
>      Yes surprisingly as a root $SHELL says /bin/tcsh, thus your suggestion
>      source /opt/sge/default/common/settings.csh worked.
>
>    But  qconf -ae Newhost
>    can't resolve hostname "Newhost"
>     qconf -ae Newhost
>    can't resolve hostname "Newhost"
>
>    Now "qconf -ae" shows
>
>    hostname              template
>    load_scaling          NONE
>    complex_values        NONE
>    user_lists            NONE
>    xuser_lists           NONE
>    projects              NONE
>    xprojects             NONE
>    usage_scaling         NONE
>    report_variables      NONE
>    ~

>    ~
>
>    "/tmp/pid-14815-aPBdyG" 9L, 247C
>
>     But adding Newhost in place of template also shows
>
>    can't resolve hostname "Newhost"
>
>    i have no clue how to configure this

The name in hostname needs to be the regular hostname of a machine (ie what you
would use if trying
to ssh to the machine).  If all the hosts in your cluster are within the same
domain and you chose the
appropriate option when running inst_sge for the qmaster you can use just the
bit before the first dot
otherwise you need the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN).  If your cluster is
isolated and the machines
don't have names registered in the DNS then you can add the hostnames to
/etc/hosts on each machine with a
mapping to the host's IP address.  Look at the existing /etc/hosts and man
hosts for details of the format.

I don't think it matters but I'd stick with all lower case names.

William