Have not responded to this list in a VERY long time....sorry if I'm doing it
wrong.

When you had the distributor cap off, did you check to see if the hall effect
shutter was still attached?  The plastic "welds" are known to fail and the
metal shutter flops around causing the hall effect sensor to report erroneous
positions.

Also, I imagine an OBD I code reader might be able to be acquired for pretty
cheap....or you could fix the bulb.

Mike
'87 CSX #481
'05 neon sxt