On 08/01/2017 12:58 AM, Vieri Di Paola via Shorewall-users wrote:

> ________________________________ From: Tom Eastep
> <teas...@shorewall.net>
>>
>> Unfortunately, the FW2 configuration has the same shortcoming as
>> did FW1 - namely, that there are DROP policies that don't log. So
>> it isn't possible to see what is being dropped and I was unable to
>> come to any conclusion...
>

> Hi,
>
> I set up a trimmed-down shorewall system today in order to find the
> root cause of my woes.
>
> I'm attaching 3 files (on Google Drive, actually):
>
> - shorewall dump while pinging 8.8.8.8, 10.215.144.92, 172.16.0.2,
> 10.215.144.91 from "lan" host with IP addr. 10.215.144.48 - kernel
> messages as the shorewall dump did NOT grab the full data for some
> reason (ie. the dump was done at 07:24 with counters reset at 07:22,
> but oddly it did not include syslog messages before 07:24)

The dump always includes just the last 20 log messages.

> - the full
> shorewall config files (in the hope you see something I oversaw)
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-tpkY1LkI67bUJOU2Y1dTFrUWM/view?usp=sharing
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-tpkY1LkI67MTRYeVRMTlBXZGc
> /view?usp=sharing
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-tpkY1LkI67OXpxQkZzM2RvbFU/view?usp=sharing
>
>  I'm interested in lan-wan communication for now. $FW-wan is OK.
> lan-wan does not work. All the pings from 10.215.144.48 listed above
> FAIL except to 10.215.144.91 which is one of the IP addresses of this
> shorewall system ($FW).
>
> I'm logging everything, even ACCEPTs, but I don't see anything being
> dropped regarding the failing pings. I only see "lan-wan ACCEPT"
> messages for my ICMP tests.

Then the next step is to determine if the requests are actually being
sent out of the WAN interface (enp6s0)

Tom Eastep        \   Q: What do you get when you cross a mobster with
Shoreline,         \     an international standard?
Washington, USA     \ A: Someone who makes you an offer you can't
http://shorewall.org \   understand