sorry I normally follow sidr on the archive...

> To: sidr wg list <sidr at ietf.org>
> Subject: Re: [sidr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidr-pfx-validate-04.txt
> From: Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>
> Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:35:57 +0900
> i have two serious disagreements with this draft.
>
>   o a prefix against which validation has not been run (no validation at
>     all or some knob turned off) should not be marked Valid.  that would
>     be a lie.  it should be marked NotFound.

So this this seems to be a split between how we intend to treat
unvalidated prefixes and their state. E.G today we'd accept them because
the alternative is a rather empty table. tomorrow maybe not. not marking
prefixes valid unless they've been validated seems like the least
surprise approach.

>   o routes learned by ibgp and routes originated on this router should
>     be checked and marked.  i do not want to hear from a neighboring noc
>     that i am originating or propagating garbage.  the ibgp case is
>     particularly egregious in partial deployment, where my ibgp peer may
>     not be validating at all.

not all IBGP sources are under the same domain of control in a big AS,
so just as I apply extensive policy controls to routes that I accept
from a datacenter for example I imagine myself validating routes that I
revived from an ibgp peer at some point if, perhaps not anytime soon.

In any event I imagine what gets validated being a product of policy
rather than source.