Dear Benjamin

As Emilio says, Mulliken analysis is very sensitive to the basis.  In principle
a DZP basis should give you a result going in the right direction.
For a well converged DZP basis for water you obtain charges of the order of:

Species: O
Atom  Qatom
 1   6.590
Species: H
Atom  Qatom
   2          .723
   3          .718

This is refered to the number of valence electrons (6 in O, 1 in H).
I would suspect that your basis is  either very poor (perhaps very short
orbitals) or that
you might have some other problem in the input (is the molecular geometry
correct??).

Regards,

Marivi