> Hi,
>
> I have made the changes according to u and defined the pseudo of Sm as

Hi -
If "u" refers to me, mind that I never advised you on the pseudo radii
for Sm...
I only meant that inclusing 4f is technically no error - but it will
probably lead to physically wrong results. Whatever...

Regarding your problems with calculations which sometimes stop
at an error in basis block, sometimes not:
you should carefully read the SIESTA doc file about the syntaxis
of the basis block. Namely:

> but when I define the PAO basis like
>                     %block PAO.Basis
>  Sm          2              # Label, l-shells
>   n=6   0   2 P   1         # n, l, Nzeta, Polarization,NzetaPol
>     0.000      0.000
>     1.000      1.000
>   n=6   1   2
>     0.000      0.000
>     1.000      1.000
>   n=5   2   2
>     0.000      0.000
>     1.000      1.000
>   n=4   3   2
>     0.000      0.000
>     1.000      1.000

- yes, it fails, because you declared 2 l-shells (1st line of the Sm block)
but in the following you pass the info for 4 l-shells. I thought we were
already past this problem...

> Again I mabe the changes in PAO basis as
> %block PAO.Basis
> Sm          2              # Label, l-shells
>  n=6   0   2 P   1                   # n, l, Nzeta, Polarization, NzetaPol
>    0.000      0.000
>    1.000      1.000
>  n=4   3   2
>    0.000      0.000
>    1.000      1.000
> Te          2                    # Species label, number of l-shells
>  n=5   0   2 P   1                   # n, l, Nzeta, Polarization, NzetaPol
>    0.000      0.000
>    1.000      1.000
>  n=5   1   2                         # n, l, Nzeta
>    0.000      0.000
>    1.000      1.000
>  %endblock PAO.Basis
>
> then the program run successfully but lattice parameter and band gap is
> far from our expt values.

Now this is formally correct (number of l-shells declared equals
number of l-shells passed), but the basis (at least for Sm) is not
complete enough - you'd need 5d in the basis.
And after you do this, do not expect to get band structure right,
because 4f states will most probably be at a wrong energy...

Good luck

Andrei Postnikov