On 06/13/2013 08:24 PM, Artem Baskin wrote:
Thank you Nick and Gabriele for your kind and very enlightening answers and comments. I really appreciate them. I have another question that might be of interest for the audience (and of course for me). My question is how to calculate and visualize the spatial distribution of the current (current density) in the system.

Dear Artem,

here's a bunch of references you will find interesting:

Physical Review B, 2003, 68, 075306
Reports on Progress in Physics, 2004, 67, 1497
Nature Chemistry, 2010, 2, 223-228 (see suppl. material)

For sure there's some more literature about it. In line of principle you can calculate them from the hamiltonian and the non equilibrium green's function. Whether there's an easy way to get them directly in transiesta, I don't know. Please note that there is difference whether you have overlap or not (this issue is mentioned in ref. 2,3) and this can be a tricky point.

Gabriele


If I want to see where the current goes, how should I proceed to get the answer to this query? This question is partially related to the fact that in when we use TRANSIESTA as a SolutionMethod no PDOS and LDOS
 are calculated since it requires  SolutionMethod = diagon.

Thank you for any comment.

Artem


On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Nick Papior Andersen <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

    Dear Artem

    2013/4/26 Akshu <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>

        Dear nick
        I have a question about one of your notes

            4) I also played with relaxation of the geometry of the SR. So I 
used several CG steps to equilibrate the structure. I expected,







            SIESTA first takes over and does the relaxation and then Transiesta 
calculates the Gree's functions upon the relaxed geometry.





            Instead, Transiesta calculates its stuff at each relaxation step. 
Is it ok? Why is it so?

        Then you just get the transiesta forces instead of the siesta
        forces. So you relax against transiesta forces. You could try
        and do siesta relaxation and compare. But don't relax the
        electrodes.

        What happens if the siesta forces are zero but the transiesta
        forces are not, though the transiesta cycle converges. Is it
        necessary to relax transiesta forces as well. And what do you
        mean by don't relax the electrodes...please explain

    I should have been more specific on the electrodes. The
    requirement of transiesta is to have the electrodes fixed. I.e.
    when you apply the self-energies they must "match" the structure
    where they are put, hence if you do geometric optimization without
    the constraint of the electrode atoms they could move away from
    where the self-energy "lives".
    As for the forces, I have never really done this my-self. But in
    principle you could do siesta/transiesta cycle geometry relaxation
    (but often this is overkill).
    As a rule-of thumb (if you need transmission for the relaxed
    structure):
    1. relax geometry with siesta (separate CG-run)
    2. Do transiesta on the geometry obtained from 1. (i.e. do not
    further relax the structure)
    3. Carefully go through your out-file and check the energies,
    forces, etc.
    4. If the forces are excessive, then you need to think about what
    you want to achieve.
    Note especially that if the forces are excessive with a bias, then
    possibly (note that I am not saying "only if the forces are
    excessive") other time and bias-dependent effects may be governing
    the motion/position of the atoms. In this case you need to do
    further studies of your system and relaxing in siesta/transiesta
    might not provide the full picture.

    Kind regards Nick



        On 26-Apr-2013, at 1:16 AM, Nick Papior Andersen
        <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

        Dear Artem,

        I will give some short notes on your questions.

        2013/4/25 Artem Baskin <[email protected]
        <mailto:[email protected]>>

            Dear SIESTA/TRANSIESTA users,

            I have recently read the paper (PRB 81, 205437) and found it very
            interesting and enlightening. Since I want to reproduce these 
results,
            I faced with some questions that I want to address here, some of 
them are technical








            whereas others are conceptual. From now on I will refer to the 
mentioned above paper and the
            materials that I 
foundhttp://unam.bilkent.edu.tr/mt2/transiesta/agnr8-transiesta/README.txt








            1) What is (are) the particular reason(-s) to choose 8AGNR as
            an electrode? In this case, the scattering region is defined in a 
dummy
            way since the only difference between scattering and electrode 
regions is








            for which area the charge neutrality is preserved and how many 
atoms are
            treated out of equilibrium. Am I right?

        This is a structural choice, you want the electrodes to
        represent a semi-infinite system which you put in contact
        with the scattering region. The electrode atoms should be as
        close (in electronic structure) to the bulk semi-infinite
        electrode (as well explained in Brandbyge et al. paper: DOI:
        10.1103/PhysRevB.65.165401)
        I dont understand what you mean by "scattering region is
        defined in a dummy way".

            2) In the example 
(http://unam.bilkent.edu.tr/mt2/transiesta/agnr8-transiesta/README.txt) I found


            TS.NumUsedAtomsLeft/Right   16
            TS.BufferAtomsLeft/Right    16

            Is there any reason why to use these values?

        It is the authors of the papers choice. Buffer atoms are also
        well explained in the paper of Brandbyge et al. They are
        simply not considered in the transiesta SCF.

            3) I was trying to reproduce some of the results. I took 17AGNR as 
an electrode with a standard








            unit cell (38 atoms). As a scattering region, I choose the same 
17AGNR of 4 and 6 unit cells long. I have arranged carefully

            the atoms in the scattering regions so that first and last 38 atoms 
correspond to the electrode regions. To my surprise,








            for the scattering region with 4 unit cells I got a pretty decent 
resulting transmission spectrum (step like) whereas for
            the scattering region with 6 unit cells the transmission spectra is 
just a set of delta-functions. Does anybody have a clue







            why is it so? Moreover, when transiesta takes over and calculates 
the Green's functions I see a very strange charge population
            on atomic orbitals (H atoms at the edges get zero  or even negative 
charge!!!!) How it can be ok for the smaller SR and







            terribly weird for just a two unit cells bigger SR? Do I need to 
worry about parameters defining complex contour integration
            options (I double checked the TS.ComplexContour.Emin to make sure 
that it is below the min eigenvalue in both cases)?









        I cannot really comment on this case as I haven't made any of
        these calculations myself, have you read Ref. 24 in the paper
        you mention?
        You could also try to increase the electrode size in the
        z-direction, take one more dimer, for instance, on both sides
        (in fact I would probably make it two dimers bigger).

            4) I also played with relaxation of the geometry of the SR. So I 
used several CG steps to equilibrate the structure. I expected,







            SIESTA first takes over and does the relaxation and then Transiesta 
calculates the Gree's functions upon the relaxed geometry.


            Instead, Transiesta calculates its stuff at each relaxation step. 
Is it ok? Why is it so?

        Then you just get the transiesta forces instead of the siesta
        forces. So you relax against transiesta forces. You could try
        and do siesta relaxation and compare. But don't relax the
        electrodes.

            5) Did anyone try to evaluate the Fermi wavelength for such a 
system as

            compared to the width of the ribbon to make sure that we deal with a







            truly 1D system?

            6) Due to the specific choice of the electrode for the set up (the 
middle






            part coincides with the leads) one may interpret the transmission 
spectra
            using the band structure of the electrode region only. From that


            perspective it is unclear for me how one would explain the 
conductance
            profile for the non zero bias. Moreover, what if the electrodes 
were of
            the different material, say, gold or nikel?

            7) Another technical issue arises when I try to apply this 
"approach" to








            the case when the electrode are made of different material as 
compared to
            the scattering region. The Siesta Manual says: "it is also crucial 
that
            the atomic positions specified at the left (right) EL calculation 
must be








            equivalent to the left (right) electrode part of the SR set up. 
Here,
            equivalent means that they can be made equal by a simple 
translation in
            space." In the examples provided in Siesta and in the case of paper 
the EL and SR








            are the same, that is why it is easy to provide the equivalence of 
the
            atoms of the electrodes and those of the SR just multiplying the 
first two
            lattice vectors for the EL by integer number(s). But what if the 
lattice








            constants for EL and SR are not commensurable, how can I get the
            equivalence of the atomic positions for EL and SR? What is the 
"electrode
            part of the SR"?

        I am not quite sure about your question, the electrode
        coordinates have to be the same. If I understand you correct,
        then you have to multiply your system until the unit-cell
        vectors are equivalent for some integer values.

            8) By definition, the whole set up in reality should not have the


            translation symmetry, the scattering region does not have 
translational
            invariance. Yet, in TRANSIESTA set up we have to apply the periodic
            boundary conditions in the xy-directions, moreover, we need to 
apply the








            periodic boundary conditions along the current direction (z). Can 
anyone
            comment on this? Why do we need them? If I want to analyse (and 
visualise)
            the wave functions of the scattering region then I have a problem to








            decide for which k-point in 3D Brillouin-zone I need to construct 
the wf
            of a given eigenvalue. It is very counter-intuitive to consider the
            scattering region as a chain (or even bulk) rather than a 
"super-molecule"








            with molecular orbitals as it is should be.

        Transiesta k-points are only considered in the transverse
        direction. So kz=0. for transiesta SCF.

            9) Could you generally comment the meaning of

            TS.NumUsedAtomsLeft/Right
            TS.BufferAtomsLeft/Right
            TS.ReplicateA1(A2)Left/Right

            parameters in terms of their physical meaning and geometry of the 
set up?

        The geometry setup follow this order
        1. Left buffer atoms (not used in transiesta)
        2. atoms used in the left electrode TSHS x ReplicateA1 x
        ReplicateA2
        3. Scattering region
        4. atoms used in the right electrode TSHS x ReplicateA1 x
        ReplicateA2
        5. right buffer atoms (not used in transiesta)

        I believe I have made a reasonable explanation of the
        replicate feature in the manual.
        In short, the buffer atoms can be used to match non-equal
        electrodes in the left/right side.


            10) It is known that<SystemLabel>.TSDE contains the info about the
            non-equilibrium density matrix. Manual says that .TSDE file can be 
used to
            analyse the non equilibrium charge density with the aid of DENCHAR.








            However, Denchar needs .DM file but not .TSDE. I renamed .TSDE file 
by .DM
            file to see the difference but I did not see any difference between
            equilibrium and non equilibrium charge density even when I applied 
bias of 2 or








            more Volts. Have you tried to do this, if so, please, share with me 
what
            you got and what we should get.

        This is system dependent. If you have only tried one system,
        then try on another system.


            If anyone could comment on at least one of the issues listed above, 
I would be very obliged.









            Best,


            Artem Baskin


        Kind regards Nick




Responder a