Dear Artem,

you can use the post-processing tool Inelastica (
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/inelastica/index.php?title=Main_Page)
which can among other things calculate the "local currents" from the
TranSIESTA .TSHS files. See for example fig 8 in
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp400062y

Regards
Henrik


2013/6/13 Gabriele Penazzi <[email protected]>

>  On 06/13/2013 08:24 PM, Artem Baskin wrote:
>
>    Thank you Nick and Gabriele for your kind and very enlightening
> answers and comments. I really appreciate them.
>  I have another question that might be of interest for the audience (and
> of course for me). My question is how to calculate and visualize the
> spatial distribution of the current (current density) in the system.
>
>
> Dear Artem,
>
> here's a bunch of references you will find interesting:
>
> Physical Review B, 2003, 68, 075306
> Reports on Progress in Physics, 2004, 67, 1497
> Nature Chemistry, 2010, 2, 223-228 (see suppl. material)
>
> For sure there's some more literature about it. In line of principle you
> can calculate them from the hamiltonian and the  non equilibrium green's
> function. Whether there's an easy way to get them directly in transiesta, I
> don't know.
> Please note that there is difference whether you have overlap or not (this
> issue is mentioned in ref. 2,3) and this can be a tricky point.
>
> Gabriele
>
>
>
>     If I want to see where the current goes, how should I proceed to get
> the answer to this query? This question is partially related to the fact
> that in when we use TRANSIESTA as a SolutionMethod no PDOS and LDOS
>   are calculated since it requires  SolutionMethod = diagon.
>
>  Thank you for any comment.
>
>  Artem
>
>
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Nick Papior Andersen <
> [email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Artem
>>
>>  2013/4/26 Akshu <[email protected]>
>>
>>>  Dear nick
>>> I have a question about one of your notes
>>>
>>>  4) I also played with relaxation of the geometry of the SR. So I used 
>>> several CG steps to equilibrate the structure. I expected,
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> SIESTA first takes over and does the relaxation and then Transiesta 
>>>> calculates the Gree's functions upon the relaxed geometry.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Instead, Transiesta calculates its stuff at each relaxation step. Is it 
>>>> ok? Why is it so?
>>>>
>>>>  Then you just get the transiesta forces instead of the siesta forces.
>>> So you relax against transiesta forces. You could try and do siesta
>>> relaxation and compare. But don't relax the electrodes.
>>>
>>>  What happens if the siesta forces are zero but the transiesta forces
>>> are not, though the transiesta cycle converges. Is it necessary to relax
>>> transiesta forces as well. And what do you mean by don't relax the
>>> electrodes...please explain
>>>
>>  I should have been more specific on the electrodes. The requirement of
>> transiesta is to have the electrodes fixed. I.e. when you apply the
>> self-energies they must "match" the structure where they are put, hence if
>> you do geometric optimization without the constraint of the electrode atoms
>> they could move away from where the self-energy "lives".
>> As for the forces, I have never really done this my-self. But in
>> principle you could do siesta/transiesta cycle geometry relaxation (but
>> often this is overkill).
>> As a rule-of thumb (if you need transmission for the relaxed structure):
>> 1. relax geometry with siesta (separate CG-run)
>> 2. Do transiesta on the geometry obtained from 1. (i.e. do not further
>> relax the structure)
>> 3. Carefully go through your out-file and check the energies, forces,
>> etc.
>> 4. If the forces are excessive, then you need to think about what you
>> want to achieve.
>> Note especially that if the forces are excessive with a bias, then
>> possibly (note that I am not saying "only if the forces are excessive")
>> other time and bias-dependent effects may be governing the motion/position
>> of the atoms. In this case you need to do further studies of your system
>> and relaxing in siesta/transiesta might not provide the full picture.
>>
>>  Kind regards Nick
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On 26-Apr-2013, at 1:16 AM, Nick Papior Andersen <[email protected]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>   Dear Artem,
>>>
>>>  I will give some short notes on your questions.
>>>
>>> 2013/4/25 Artem Baskin <[email protected]>
>>>
>>>>  Dear SIESTA/TRANSIESTA users,
>>>>
>>>> I have recently read the paper (PRB 81, 205437) and found it very
>>>> interesting and enlightening. Since I want to reproduce these results,
>>>> I faced with some questions that I want to address here, some of them are 
>>>> technical
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> whereas others are conceptual. From now on I will refer to the mentioned 
>>>> above paper and the
>>>> materials that I found 
>>>> http://unam.bilkent.edu.tr/mt2/transiesta/agnr8-transiesta/README.txt
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> 1) What is (are) the particular reason(-s) to choose 8AGNR as
>>>> an electrode? In this case, the scattering region is defined in a dummy
>>>> way since the only difference between scattering and electrode regions is
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> for which area the charge neutrality is preserved and how many atoms are
>>>> treated out of equilibrium. Am I right?
>>>>
>>>>  This is a structural choice, you want the electrodes to represent a
>>> semi-infinite system which you put in contact with the scattering region.
>>> The electrode atoms should be as close (in electronic structure) to the
>>> bulk semi-infinite electrode (as well explained in Brandbyge et al. paper:
>>> DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.65.165401)
>>> I dont understand what you mean by "scattering region is defined in a
>>> dummy way".
>>>
>>>>  2) In the example 
>>>> (http://unam.bilkent.edu.tr/mt2/transiesta/agnr8-transiesta/README.txt) I 
>>>> found
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> TS.NumUsedAtomsLeft/Right   16
>>>> TS.BufferAtomsLeft/Right    16
>>>>
>>>> Is there any reason why to use these values?
>>>>
>>>>  It is the authors of the papers choice. Buffer atoms are also well
>>> explained in the paper of Brandbyge et al. They are simply not considered
>>> in the transiesta SCF.
>>>
>>>>  3) I was trying to reproduce some of the results. I took 17AGNR as an 
>>>> electrode with a standard
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> unit cell (38 atoms). As a scattering region, I choose the same 17AGNR of 
>>>> 4 and 6 unit cells long. I have arranged carefully
>>>>
>>>> the atoms in the scattering regions so that first and last 38 atoms 
>>>> correspond to the electrode regions. To my surprise,
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> for the scattering region with 4 unit cells I got a pretty decent 
>>>> resulting transmission spectrum (step like) whereas for
>>>> the scattering region with 6 unit cells the transmission spectra is just a 
>>>> set of delta-functions. Does anybody have a clue
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> why is it so? Moreover, when transiesta takes over and calculates the 
>>>> Green's functions I see a very strange charge population
>>>> on atomic orbitals (H atoms at the edges get zero  or even negative 
>>>> charge!!!!) How it can be ok for the smaller SR and
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> terribly weird for just a two unit cells bigger SR? Do I need to worry 
>>>> about parameters defining complex contour integration
>>>> options (I double checked the TS.ComplexContour.Emin to make sure that it 
>>>> is below the min eigenvalue in both cases)?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>  I cannot really comment on this case as I haven't made any of these
>>> calculations myself, have you read Ref. 24 in the paper you mention?
>>> You could also try to increase the electrode size in the z-direction,
>>> take one more dimer, for instance, on both sides (in fact I would probably
>>> make it two dimers bigger).
>>>
>>>>  4) I also played with relaxation of the geometry of the SR. So I used 
>>>> several CG steps to equilibrate the structure. I expected,
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> SIESTA first takes over and does the relaxation and then Transiesta 
>>>> calculates the Gree's functions upon the relaxed geometry.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Instead, Transiesta calculates its stuff at each relaxation step. Is it 
>>>> ok? Why is it so?
>>>>
>>>>  Then you just get the transiesta forces instead of the siesta forces.
>>> So you relax against transiesta forces. You could try and do siesta
>>> relaxation and compare. But don't relax the electrodes.
>>>
>>>>  5) Did anyone try to evaluate the Fermi wavelength for such a system as
>>>>
>>>> compared to the width of the ribbon to make sure that we deal with a
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> truly 1D system?
>>>>
>>>>   6) Due to the specific choice of the electrode for the set up (the middle
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> part coincides with the leads) one may interpret the transmission spectra
>>>> using the band structure of the electrode region only. From that
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> perspective it is unclear for me how one would explain the conductance
>>>> profile for the non zero bias. Moreover, what if the electrodes were of
>>>> the different material, say, gold or nikel?
>>>>
>>>> 7) Another technical issue arises when I try to apply this "approach" to
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> the case when the electrode are made of different material as compared to
>>>> the scattering region. The Siesta Manual says: "it is also crucial that
>>>> the atomic positions specified at the left (right) EL calculation must be
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> equivalent to the left (right) electrode part of the SR set up. Here,
>>>> equivalent means that they can be made equal by a simple translation in
>>>> space." In the examples provided in Siesta and in the case of paper the EL 
>>>> and SR
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> are the same, that is why it is easy to provide the equivalence of the
>>>> atoms of the electrodes and those of the SR just multiplying the first two
>>>> lattice vectors for the EL by integer number(s). But what if the lattice
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> constants for EL and SR are not commensurable, how can I get the
>>>> equivalence of the atomic positions for EL and SR? What is the "electrode
>>>> part of the SR"?
>>>>
>>>>  I am not quite sure about your question, the electrode coordinates
>>> have to be the same. If I understand you correct, then you have to multiply
>>> your system until the unit-cell vectors are equivalent for some integer
>>> values.
>>>
>>>>  8) By definition, the whole set up in reality should not have the
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> translation symmetry, the scattering region does not have translational
>>>> invariance. Yet, in TRANSIESTA set up we have to apply the periodic
>>>> boundary conditions in the xy-directions, moreover, we need to apply the
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> periodic boundary conditions along the current direction (z). Can anyone
>>>> comment on this? Why do we need them? If I want to analyse (and visualise)
>>>> the wave functions of the scattering region then I have a problem to
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> decide for which k-point in 3D Brillouin-zone I need to construct the wf
>>>> of a given eigenvalue. It is very counter-intuitive to consider the
>>>> scattering region as a chain (or even bulk) rather than a "super-molecule"
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> with molecular orbitals as it is should be.
>>>>
>>>>  Transiesta k-points are only considered in the transverse direction.
>>> So kz=0. for transiesta SCF.
>>>
>>>>  9) Could you generally comment the meaning of
>>>>
>>>> TS.NumUsedAtomsLeft/Right
>>>> TS.BufferAtomsLeft/Right
>>>> TS.ReplicateA1(A2)Left/Right
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>   parameters in terms of their physical meaning and geometry of the set up?
>>>>
>>>>  The geometry setup follow this order
>>>
>>> 1. Left buffer atoms (not used in transiesta)
>>> 2. atoms used in the left electrode TSHS x ReplicateA1 x ReplicateA2
>>> 3. Scattering region
>>> 4. atoms used in the right electrode TSHS x ReplicateA1 x ReplicateA2
>>> 5. right buffer atoms (not used in transiesta)
>>>
>>>  I believe I have made a reasonable explanation of the replicate
>>> feature in the manual.
>>> In short, the buffer atoms can be used to match non-equal electrodes in
>>> the left/right side.
>>>
>>>>
>>>> 10) It is known that <SystemLabel>.TSDE contains the info about the
>>>> non-equilibrium density matrix. Manual says that .TSDE file can be used to
>>>> analyse the non equilibrium charge density with the aid of DENCHAR.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> However, Denchar needs .DM file but not .TSDE. I renamed .TSDE file by .DM
>>>> file to see the difference but I did not see any difference between
>>>> equilibrium and non equilibrium charge density even when I applied bias of 
>>>> 2 or
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> more Volts. Have you tried to do this, if so, please, share with me what
>>>> you got and what we should get.
>>>>
>>>>  This is system dependent. If you have only tried one system, then try
>>> on another system.
>>>
>>>>   If anyone could comment on at least one of the issues listed above, I 
>>>> would be very obliged.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Best,
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Artem Baskin
>>>>
>>>>
>>>  Kind regards Nick
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>

Responder a