Dear Henrik,

Thank you so much for replying to my last query and sending me very
enlightening paper, it was very useful. However, I faced up with some
technical problems related to how to run Inelastica. Could you comment on
the following issues:

1) I tried to run the example files for TSrun. Here's what I did. First, I
recreated files for electrodes (using the geometry and input files provided
in /Inelastica-1.1/Examples/AuH2/L9.68/TSrun/ELEC directory. For this I
calculated from scratch (using though different pseudopotentials for Au)
using TRANSIESTA. No problem found. I did the same for the scattering
region (using files from /Inelastica-1.1/Examples/AuH2/L9.68/TSrun such as
STRUCT.fdf.  RUN.fdf and TBTRANS.fdf. No problem found. It generated for me
new electrode.TSHS and Chain.TSHS files.

2) When I first tried to follow
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/inelastica/index.php?title=Tutorialand
run EigenChannels EC from the /Examples/AuH2/L9.68/TSrun it required
.XV file (Chain.XV, I guess) and no files were generated by Inelastica. So,
I recreated all the files from scratch (see 1)). In my working directory I
have now all .XV files (Chain.XV and ELECTRODE.XV). EigenChannels EC
requires now to select which .XV file to use. When I keep only Chain.XV
files nothing happens. Here's what it gives:

Eigenchannels : Creating folder EC
 /usr/bin/EigenChannels -f Chain.fdf EC
##################################################################################
## Eigenchannel options
fdfFile          : Chain.fdf
Ef [eV]          : 0.000000
NumChan          : 4
Res [Ang]        : 0.400000
PhononNetCDF     : None
iSpin            : 1
kPoint           : [0.000000,0.000000]
BothSides        : False
Device [from,to] : [11,14]
DestDir          : EC
##################################################################################
Reading geometry from "Chain.XV" file
SiestaIO.ReadXVFile: Reading Chain.XV
SiestaIO.ReadXVFile: Reading /home/artem/trans/Inelastica/TEST/Chain.XV
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/EigenChannels", line 4, in <module>
    IE.main()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/Inelastica/EigenChannels.py",
line 32, in main
    readbasis()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/Inelastica/EigenChannels.py",
line 56, in readbasis
    basis = SIO.BuildBasis(fn[0], general.from_atom, general.to_atom)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/Inelastica/SiestaIO.py", line
1160, in BuildBasis
    nn += ions[an].numorb
KeyError: 79

What's the origin of the error?

When I tried to use  Inelastica -p ../PHrun/Dev_10-13.nc IN
I got this:

Inelastica -f Chain.fdf -p ../PHrun/Dev_10-13.nc IN

Inelastica script that calculates the IETS signal using the lowest order
expansion,
see Frederiksen et al. PRB 75, 205413 (2007)

For help use --help!

['IN']

Eigenchannels : Creating folder IN
 /usr/bin/Inelastica -f Chain.fdf -p ../PHrun/Dev_10-13.nc IN
##################################################################################
## Eigenchannel options
fdfFile          : Chain.fdf
Ef [eV]          : 0.000000
NumChan          : 4
Res [Ang]        : 0.400000
PhononNetCDF     : ../PHrun/Dev_10-13.nc
iSpin            : 1
kPoint           : [0.000000,0.000000]
BothSides        : False
Device [from,to] : [11,14]
DestDir          : IN
##################################################################################
## Inelastica options
PhononNetCDF     : ../PHrun/Dev_10-13.nc
Ef [eV]          : 0.000000
Vrms [V]         : 0.005000
PhHeating        : False
External damp [?]: 0.000000
mode cutoff [eV] : 0.002500
Temperature [K]  : 4.200000
Bias points      : 801
Min bias [V]     : -0.400000
Max bias [V]     : 0.400000
##################################################################################
Found 4 atoms, (480, 60) orbitals in super-, unit-cell
Found 4 atoms, (480, 60) orbitals in super-, unit-cell
Found 24 atoms, (1360, 340) orbitals in super-, unit-cell
GF :  Chain.TSHS
Device atoms 11-14, orbitals 151-190
Left self energy on orbitals 151-175
Right self energy on orbitals 151-190

##############################################################
pyTBT

Energy [eV]                     : -5.000000:0.200000:5.000000
kpoints                         : 1, 1
eta [eV]                        : 0.000001
Device [Atoms Siesta numbering] : 11:14
Bulk                            : True
SpinPolarization                : 1
##############################################################


Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/Inelastica", line 5, in <module>
    II.main()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/Inelastica/Inelastica.py", line
31, in main
    EC.readHS()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/Inelastica/EigenChannels.py",
line 67, in readHS
    NCfile = NC.NetCDFFile(general.PhononNetCDF,'r')
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/Scientific/IO/NetCDF.py", line
177, in NetCDFFile
    return apply(_NetCDFFile, args)
IOError: netcdf: No such file or directory

Perhaps, since the step of Eigenchannels failed no IETS signals were
generated.

Could you help me out with this?

And also, I would like to know more about Inelastica and the content
(detailed description) of the values its calculates (generates). Where can
find these?

Best,

Artem






On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 1:55 AM, Henrik Löfås <[email protected]>wrote:

> Dear Artem,
>
> you can use the post-processing tool Inelastica (
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/inelastica/index.php?title=Main_Page)
> which can among other things calculate the "local currents" from the
> TranSIESTA .TSHS files. See for example fig 8 in
> http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp400062y
>
> Regards
> Henrik
>
>
> 2013/6/13 Gabriele Penazzi <[email protected]>
>
>>  On 06/13/2013 08:24 PM, Artem Baskin wrote:
>>
>>    Thank you Nick and Gabriele for your kind and very enlightening
>> answers and comments. I really appreciate them.
>>  I have another question that might be of interest for the audience (and
>> of course for me). My question is how to calculate and visualize the
>> spatial distribution of the current (current density) in the system.
>>
>>
>> Dear Artem,
>>
>> here's a bunch of references you will find interesting:
>>
>> Physical Review B, 2003, 68, 075306
>> Reports on Progress in Physics, 2004, 67, 1497
>> Nature Chemistry, 2010, 2, 223-228 (see suppl. material)
>>
>> For sure there's some more literature about it. In line of principle you
>> can calculate them from the hamiltonian and the  non equilibrium green's
>> function. Whether there's an easy way to get them directly in transiesta, I
>> don't know.
>> Please note that there is difference whether you have overlap or not
>> (this issue is mentioned in ref. 2,3) and this can be a tricky point.
>>
>> Gabriele
>>
>>
>>
>>     If I want to see where the current goes, how should I proceed to get
>> the answer to this query? This question is partially related to the fact
>> that in when we use TRANSIESTA as a SolutionMethod no PDOS and LDOS
>>   are calculated since it requires  SolutionMethod = diagon.
>>
>>  Thank you for any comment.
>>
>>  Artem
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:06 AM, Nick Papior Andersen <
>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Artem
>>>
>>>  2013/4/26 Akshu <[email protected]>
>>>
>>>>  Dear nick
>>>> I have a question about one of your notes
>>>>
>>>>  4) I also played with relaxation of the geometry of the SR. So I used 
>>>> several CG steps to equilibrate the structure. I expected,
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> SIESTA first takes over and does the relaxation and then Transiesta 
>>>>> calculates the Gree's functions upon the relaxed geometry.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Instead, Transiesta calculates its stuff at each relaxation step. Is it 
>>>>> ok? Why is it so?
>>>>>
>>>>>  Then you just get the transiesta forces instead of the siesta
>>>> forces. So you relax against transiesta forces. You could try and do siesta
>>>> relaxation and compare. But don't relax the electrodes.
>>>>
>>>>  What happens if the siesta forces are zero but the transiesta forces
>>>> are not, though the transiesta cycle converges. Is it necessary to relax
>>>> transiesta forces as well. And what do you mean by don't relax the
>>>> electrodes...please explain
>>>>
>>>  I should have been more specific on the electrodes. The requirement of
>>> transiesta is to have the electrodes fixed. I.e. when you apply the
>>> self-energies they must "match" the structure where they are put, hence if
>>> you do geometric optimization without the constraint of the electrode atoms
>>> they could move away from where the self-energy "lives".
>>> As for the forces, I have never really done this my-self. But in
>>> principle you could do siesta/transiesta cycle geometry relaxation (but
>>> often this is overkill).
>>> As a rule-of thumb (if you need transmission for the relaxed structure):
>>> 1. relax geometry with siesta (separate CG-run)
>>> 2. Do transiesta on the geometry obtained from 1. (i.e. do not further
>>> relax the structure)
>>> 3. Carefully go through your out-file and check the energies, forces,
>>> etc.
>>> 4. If the forces are excessive, then you need to think about what you
>>> want to achieve.
>>> Note especially that if the forces are excessive with a bias, then
>>> possibly (note that I am not saying "only if the forces are excessive")
>>> other time and bias-dependent effects may be governing the motion/position
>>> of the atoms. In this case you need to do further studies of your system
>>> and relaxing in siesta/transiesta might not provide the full picture.
>>>
>>>  Kind regards Nick
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 26-Apr-2013, at 1:16 AM, Nick Papior Andersen <[email protected]>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>   Dear Artem,
>>>>
>>>>  I will give some short notes on your questions.
>>>>
>>>> 2013/4/25 Artem Baskin <[email protected]>
>>>>
>>>>>  Dear SIESTA/TRANSIESTA users,
>>>>>
>>>>> I have recently read the paper (PRB 81, 205437) and found it very
>>>>> interesting and enlightening. Since I want to reproduce these results,
>>>>> I faced with some questions that I want to address here, some of them are 
>>>>> technical
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> whereas others are conceptual. From now on I will refer to the mentioned 
>>>>> above paper and the
>>>>> materials that I found 
>>>>> http://unam.bilkent.edu.tr/mt2/transiesta/agnr8-transiesta/README.txt
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> 1) What is (are) the particular reason(-s) to choose 8AGNR as
>>>>> an electrode? In this case, the scattering region is defined in a dummy
>>>>> way since the only difference between scattering and electrode regions is
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> for which area the charge neutrality is preserved and how many atoms are
>>>>> treated out of equilibrium. Am I right?
>>>>>
>>>>>  This is a structural choice, you want the electrodes to represent a
>>>> semi-infinite system which you put in contact with the scattering region.
>>>> The electrode atoms should be as close (in electronic structure) to the
>>>> bulk semi-infinite electrode (as well explained in Brandbyge et al. paper:
>>>> DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.65.165401)
>>>> I dont understand what you mean by "scattering region is defined in a
>>>> dummy way".
>>>>
>>>>>  2) In the example 
>>>>> (http://unam.bilkent.edu.tr/mt2/transiesta/agnr8-transiesta/README.txt) I 
>>>>> found
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> TS.NumUsedAtomsLeft/Right   16
>>>>> TS.BufferAtomsLeft/Right    16
>>>>>
>>>>> Is there any reason why to use these values?
>>>>>
>>>>>  It is the authors of the papers choice. Buffer atoms are also well
>>>> explained in the paper of Brandbyge et al. They are simply not considered
>>>> in the transiesta SCF.
>>>>
>>>>>  3) I was trying to reproduce some of the results. I took 17AGNR as an 
>>>>> electrode with a standard
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> unit cell (38 atoms). As a scattering region, I choose the same 17AGNR of 
>>>>> 4 and 6 unit cells long. I have arranged carefully
>>>>>
>>>>> the atoms in the scattering regions so that first and last 38 atoms 
>>>>> correspond to the electrode regions. To my surprise,
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> for the scattering region with 4 unit cells I got a pretty decent 
>>>>> resulting transmission spectrum (step like) whereas for
>>>>> the scattering region with 6 unit cells the transmission spectra is just 
>>>>> a set of delta-functions. Does anybody have a clue
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> why is it so? Moreover, when transiesta takes over and calculates the 
>>>>> Green's functions I see a very strange charge population
>>>>> on atomic orbitals (H atoms at the edges get zero  or even negative 
>>>>> charge!!!!) How it can be ok for the smaller SR and
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> terribly weird for just a two unit cells bigger SR? Do I need to worry 
>>>>> about parameters defining complex contour integration
>>>>> options (I double checked the TS.ComplexContour.Emin to make sure that it 
>>>>> is below the min eigenvalue in both cases)?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>  I cannot really comment on this case as I haven't made any of these
>>>> calculations myself, have you read Ref. 24 in the paper you mention?
>>>> You could also try to increase the electrode size in the z-direction,
>>>> take one more dimer, for instance, on both sides (in fact I would probably
>>>> make it two dimers bigger).
>>>>
>>>>>  4) I also played with relaxation of the geometry of the SR. So I used 
>>>>> several CG steps to equilibrate the structure. I expected,
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> SIESTA first takes over and does the relaxation and then Transiesta 
>>>>> calculates the Gree's functions upon the relaxed geometry.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Instead, Transiesta calculates its stuff at each relaxation step. Is it 
>>>>> ok? Why is it so?
>>>>>
>>>>>  Then you just get the transiesta forces instead of the siesta
>>>> forces. So you relax against transiesta forces. You could try and do siesta
>>>> relaxation and compare. But don't relax the electrodes.
>>>>
>>>>>  5) Did anyone try to evaluate the Fermi wavelength for such a system as
>>>>>
>>>>> compared to the width of the ribbon to make sure that we deal with a
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> truly 1D system?
>>>>>
>>>>>   6) Due to the specific choice of the electrode for the set up (the 
>>>>> middle
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> part coincides with the leads) one may interpret the transmission spectra
>>>>> using the band structure of the electrode region only. From that
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> perspective it is unclear for me how one would explain the conductance
>>>>> profile for the non zero bias. Moreover, what if the electrodes were of
>>>>> the different material, say, gold or nikel?
>>>>>
>>>>> 7) Another technical issue arises when I try to apply this "approach" to
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> the case when the electrode are made of different material as compared to
>>>>> the scattering region. The Siesta Manual says: "it is also crucial that
>>>>> the atomic positions specified at the left (right) EL calculation must be
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> equivalent to the left (right) electrode part of the SR set up. Here,
>>>>> equivalent means that they can be made equal by a simple translation in
>>>>> space." In the examples provided in Siesta and in the case of paper the 
>>>>> EL and SR
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> are the same, that is why it is easy to provide the equivalence of the
>>>>> atoms of the electrodes and those of the SR just multiplying the first two
>>>>> lattice vectors for the EL by integer number(s). But what if the lattice
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> constants for EL and SR are not commensurable, how can I get the
>>>>> equivalence of the atomic positions for EL and SR? What is the "electrode
>>>>> part of the SR"?
>>>>>
>>>>>  I am not quite sure about your question, the electrode coordinates
>>>> have to be the same. If I understand you correct, then you have to multiply
>>>> your system until the unit-cell vectors are equivalent for some integer
>>>> values.
>>>>
>>>>>  8) By definition, the whole set up in reality should not have the
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> translation symmetry, the scattering region does not have translational
>>>>> invariance. Yet, in TRANSIESTA set up we have to apply the periodic
>>>>> boundary conditions in the xy-directions, moreover, we need to apply the
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> periodic boundary conditions along the current direction (z). Can anyone
>>>>> comment on this? Why do we need them? If I want to analyse (and visualise)
>>>>> the wave functions of the scattering region then I have a problem to
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> decide for which k-point in 3D Brillouin-zone I need to construct the wf
>>>>> of a given eigenvalue. It is very counter-intuitive to consider the
>>>>> scattering region as a chain (or even bulk) rather than a "super-molecule"
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> with molecular orbitals as it is should be.
>>>>>
>>>>>  Transiesta k-points are only considered in the transverse direction.
>>>> So kz=0. for transiesta SCF.
>>>>
>>>>>  9) Could you generally comment the meaning of
>>>>>
>>>>> TS.NumUsedAtomsLeft/Right
>>>>> TS.BufferAtomsLeft/Right
>>>>> TS.ReplicateA1(A2)Left/Right
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>   parameters in terms of their physical meaning and geometry of the set 
>>>>> up?
>>>>>
>>>>>  The geometry setup follow this order
>>>>
>>>> 1. Left buffer atoms (not used in transiesta)
>>>> 2. atoms used in the left electrode TSHS x ReplicateA1 x ReplicateA2
>>>> 3. Scattering region
>>>> 4. atoms used in the right electrode TSHS x ReplicateA1 x ReplicateA2
>>>> 5. right buffer atoms (not used in transiesta)
>>>>
>>>>  I believe I have made a reasonable explanation of the replicate
>>>> feature in the manual.
>>>> In short, the buffer atoms can be used to match non-equal electrodes in
>>>> the left/right side.
>>>>
>>>>>  10) It is known that <SystemLabel>.TSDE contains the info about the
>>>>> non-equilibrium density matrix. Manual says that .TSDE file can be used to
>>>>> analyse the non equilibrium charge density with the aid of DENCHAR.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> However, Denchar needs .DM file but not .TSDE. I renamed .TSDE file by .DM
>>>>> file to see the difference but I did not see any difference between
>>>>> equilibrium and non equilibrium charge density even when I applied bias 
>>>>> of 2 or
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> more Volts. Have you tried to do this, if so, please, share with me what
>>>>> you got and what we should get.
>>>>>
>>>>>  This is system dependent. If you have only tried one system, then
>>>> try on another system.
>>>>
>>>>>  If anyone could comment on at least one of the issues listed above, I 
>>>>> would be very obliged.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Best,
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Artem Baskin
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>  Kind regards Nick
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>

Responder a