On 18/09/2014, at 4:11 pm, Skeeve Stevens <ske...@v4now.com> wrote:

> Ok, thinking about this some more, I am still conflicted.
>
> There are two schools here... simplicity and conservation.
>
> I think worrying about conservation is important.  But are we trying to
> converse needlessly?

No.   We need to try harder.

> If we think we will be using v6 in 20 years, I think we are kidding
> ourselves.

It took 20 years to agree IPv6.  Next time around the change will be even
harder.  We should expect that IPv6 will last at least the next 50 years.

> With the IoE/IoT, the consumption of address space is going to accelerate in
> a huge way.  If we're not thinking about what is after IPv6, then we're doing
> ourselves a disservice anyway. But that is the future, and extremely
> difficult to predict in this area.

That's seems to be the most egregious excuse for not doing things correctly now
- "It doesn't matter because we're going to replace it anyway".  An argument
that could be applied to IPv7, 8 and so on.

Jay

> [...]
> being 8 and a /28 being 1 is quite a compelling reason to increase the
> default 'larger' allocation to /28.
>
> So... balancing the two.. I support increasing the standard large allocation
> to a /28.
>

> ...Skeeve
>
> Skeeve Stevens - Senior IP Broker
> v4Now - an eintellego Networks service
> ske...@v4now.com ; www.v4now.com
> Phone: 1300 239 038; Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve
> facebook.com/v4now ; linkedin.com/in/skeeve
> twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com
>
> IP Address Brokering - Introducing sellers and buyers
>
> On 18 September 2014 09:59, Elvis Velea <el...@velea.eu> wrote:
> Hi Owen,
>
> what has ARIN to do with the policy in APNIC?
> I could also justify my arguments by saying that the RIPE policy allows up to
> a /29 per member.. and that policy works very well as well.
>
> Let's not use other regions' policies to justify disapproval of this policy
> proposal. Especially when both ARIN and RIPE have different policies that
> work very well.
>
> I would like to ask you to explain what kind of errors/difficulties may
> induce the allocation of a /29 (instead of a /28) in regards to RPKI and
> DNSSSEC. I do not really understand that part (sorry, I am not very
> technical). If it's fat-fingering you are talking about, that can happen
> regardless of the size of the allocation.
>
> I find it surprising that you oppose to a policy proposal that would allow
> members of APNIC to use more IPv6 addresses just because the policy does not
> say 'more than more' (/28s instead of /29s).
>
> cheers,
> elvis
>
> On 18/09/14 09:35, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> Absolutely… That is current policy in the ARIN region and it is working well.
>>
>> The reality is that the amount saved by doing non-nibble boundary
>> allocations is insignificant compared to the likely increase in human
>> factors related errors induced and other varieties of inconvenience (RPKI
>> difficulties, DNSSEC difficulties, etc.)
>>
>> In reality, there are probably well under 1,000,000 organizations that could
>> justify more than a /28 (i.e. a /24) world wide. Probably at most a few
>> million ISPs that would be able to justify more than a /32 (i.e. a /28,
>> serving more than 50,000 customers), I think we’re fine.
>>
>> If it turns out I’m wrong and we burn through 2000::/3 this way in less than
>> 50 years, than I will happily admit it and help anyone who is interested
>> draft more restrictive policies for the remaining untouched ~3/4 of IPv6
>> address space.
>>
>> So far, we haven’t even managed to polish off a /12 in any region.
>>
>> Owen
>>
>> On Sep 17, 2014, at 4:07 PM, Elvis Velea <el...@velea.eu> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Owen and Mike,
>>>
>>> can you explain why /28 and not /29?
>>>
>>> Why waste so much and use only nibble boundaries? What would you accept if
>>> someone needs more than a /28, allocation of a /24?

Jay Daley
Chief Executive
.nz Registry Services (New Zealand Domain Name Registry Limited)
desk: +64 4 931 6977
mobile: +64 21 678840
linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/jaydaley