On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 9:04 PM Aftab Siddiqui <aftab.siddi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi David,
>

> On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 6:36 AM David Farmer <far...@umn.edu> wrote:
>
>> The problem statement says;
>>
>> Bogons are defined in RFC3871, A "Bogon" (plural: "bogons") is a packet
>> with an IP source address in an address block not yet allocated by IANA
>> or the Regional Internet Registries (ARIN, RIPE NCC, APNIC, AFRINIC and
>> LACNIC)...
>>

>> So that raises a question, what about resources that are deregisterd
>> because they are returned, revoked, or otherwise reclaimed, for any of a
>> myriad of reasons, including non-payment of fees? Do they become Bogons
>> with AS0 ROAs the moment they are deregistered? Later, if so when? What if
>> there is a ROA for them in the system? Are the ROAs removed, if so when?
>>

> I also had some concerns about revoked and/or reclaimed space and closed
> account due to non payment so I asked Secretariat in advance and here is
> the response.
> =======
> APNIC membership account is classified as closed when its status is
> flagged as ‘closed’ in APNIC’s internal system.
>
> 30 days - payment period upon issuance of invoice, if no payment is
> received within this period member receives expiry notice and the account
> status becomes 'suspended'
> After 15 days – member receives email notification for closure giving them
> another 15 days to pay
> After 15 days – the status of the account becomes 'closed' and all
> delegated resources under the account are reclaimed
>
> All in all members have 60 days period to pay before the status of the
> account becomes ‘closed’.
> =======
>
> As long as the account is suspended APNIC doesn't consider those resources
> as free/available/reclaimed and because they are not part of unallocated
> pool thats why no need to create AS0 ROAs for such resources. AS0 ROAs will
> be created once APNIC mark those resources available and remove them from
> their delegation record. Now, the second issue is if there is a ROA for
> them in the system. Because AS 0 ROA has a lower relative preference than
> any other ROA that has a routable AS then APNIC has to somehow delete the
> existing ROA from the system. Its easy if the member account is closed and
> all resources are reclaimed. But I leave this to APNIC to decide how they
> are going to make that happen.

Currently, when the account is closed nothing actively makes the resources
unusable, accept for if you were also changing providers during this
timeframe, then when the new provider checks the resources they will be
unregistered. But most providers don't recheck the registration of
resources very often, if ever, other than at the time of setup of service.

With this proposal at some point, the resource will effectively become
unusable with nonpayment, when the AS0 ROA is created, and any ROAs are
removed, I'm fine with this, but it should be called out as a consequence
of the proposal, so no one can say they didn't realize that is a
consequence of the proposal.

This proposal changes the consequences for nonpayment, that should be made
clear in the proposal one way or another.

Also as Owen noted the RIRs frequently have a hold period after the account
is closed, resource are usually held for some period after account closure
and before they are reissued to a new user.

> Personally I think they should be deregistered for some amount of time
>> before the becoming Bogons and have an AS0 ROA created them, also for the
>> AS0 ROA to be effective any ROAs for these deregistered resources need to
>> be removed as well.
>>

>> I would propose something like the following;
>>
>>    1. Upon de-reregistration any existing ROAs are removed from RPKI
>>    2. 30 days after de-registraion, AS0 ROAs are created except for
>>    non-payment fees
>>    3. 90 days after de-registraion, AS0 ROAs are created in the case of
>>    non-payment fees
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Thanks for these suggestions but do you think the existing waiting period
> as outlined above in APNIC's response is good enough to mark them as
> free/unallocated? or you think additional cooling-off window should be
> added after the account is closed? How about 30 days after de-registration
> whether it was closed due to non-payment or otherwise.

They were just suggestions, but I will note that you only discussed the
timing for nonpayment, resources can be returned voluntarily or they can be
revoked for cause, this is rare but it does happen and the timing
assoicated with these instances should be understood as well.

Also, I was suggesting the AS0 ROAs should not created immediately on
account closure but some period of time after that,

Right now there seems to be two phases, suspension and account closure, I'm
proposing a third phase resource deactivation, the creation of the AS0
ROAs. I suppose account closure and resource deactivation can occur
simultaneously, I think they should be separate as an escalating series of
events.

Thanks

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 12:52 AM Sumon Ahmed Sabir <sasa...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear SIG members
>>>
>>> A new version of the proposal "prop-132: AS0 for Bogons"
>>> has been sent to the Policy SIG for review.
>>>
>>> Information about earlier versions is available from:
>>> http://www.apnic.net/policy/proposals/prop-132
>>>
>>> You are encouraged to express your views on the proposal:
>>>
>>>   - Do you support or oppose the proposal?
>>>   - Is there anything in the proposal that is not clear?
>>>   - What changes could be made to this proposal to make it more
>>> effective?
>>>
>>> Please find the text of the proposal below.
>>>
>>> Kind Regards,
>>>
>>> Sumon, Bertrand, Ching-Heng
>>> APNIC Policy SIG Chairs

>>> prop-132-v002: AS0 for Bogons

>>> Proposer: Aftab Siddiqui
>>>            aftab.siddi...@gmail.com
>>>

>>> 1. Problem statement
>>> Bogons are defined in RFC3871, A "Bogon" (plural: "bogons") is a packet
>>> with an IP source address in an address block not yet allocated by IANA
>>> or the Regional Internet Registries (ARIN, RIPE NCC, APNIC, AFRINIC and
>>> LACNIC) as well as all addresses reserved for private or special use by
>>> RFCs.  See [RFC3330] and [RFC1918].
>>>
>>> As of now, there are 287 IPv4 bogons and 73 IPv6 bogons in the global
>>> routing
>>> table. In the past, several attempts have been made to filter out such