The increased consequences of an APNIC Member failing to pay fees or the
extremely rare possibility of an error by APNIC Staff should be called out
as a potential impacts of the proposal in section 7.

Personally, I support the proposal, but it is a matter of informed consent,
the community needs to consider the fact that this proposal increases the
consequences if certain events occur.

If these consequences are included in the proposal, when someone forgets to
pay their bill and their resources get block by most of the Internet, then
no one can claim it wasn't considered.

Thanks.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 11:07 PM Owen DeLong <o...@delong.com> wrote:

> On Aug 28, 2019, at 20:37 , Aftab Siddiqui <aftab.siddi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> Hi Owen,
>  cutting some stuff out, just to keep the thread small.
>
> Anyone can very quickly put just about anything in RADB if they want to.
>> It’s also relatively easy to put nearly anything in the current ARIN IRR
>> (not to be confused with the ARIN RIR database). There are also some other
>> IRRs that accept almost anything at face value.
>>

> Exactly, thats why you have so much garbage in RADB and other IRR db.
>

> It’s also why the RIR withdrawing an entry isn’t as likely to cause an
> unmitigable outage than would occur under this policy.
>

>> Finally, route object based filters tend to get updated rather slowly and
>> not everyone updates in sync, so it’s a gradually progressing outage that
>> allows some reaction time before becoming completely catastrophic.
>>

> Similarly, not everyone is doing ROV. But for the first time people are
> worried about consequences of their laziness because RPKI is going to work
> much better than IRR based filtering.
>

> I’m not sure that’s a completely fair characterization of the situation,
> but for whatever reason, despite its inability to do more than provide a
> really good cryptographically signed hint at what to forge in your
> hijacking announcements, RPKI is spreading like an unstoppable cancer and
> more and more people are beginning to do ROV in a mode which permits
> unknowns, but rejects known invalids.
>
> RIRs implementing AS0 raises the stakes by giving RIRs the power to create
> “known invalids” where the previous state would be “unknown”.
>

>> OTOH, if APNIC accidentally deletes the registration and issues an AS0
>>> ROA for the entire netback, then you’re (potentially) talking about near
>>> total catastrophic routing failure for this ISP and all of his customers.
>>>

>> Let’s assume they accidentally delete the registration for any reason
>> there are cooling off periods in place which goes up to 60 days or we can
>> put measures in place through policy to have decent cooking off periods.
>> Also let’s talk about stats, how many times how many RIRs have deleted
>> their members by mistake? Do you have any case?
>>

>> Honestly, I have no way to know. Such an event would likely not be made
>> particularly public. The RIR would consider it confidential to the affected
>> party and the affected party would have little motivation to announce it to
>> the world after the fact.
>>

> So we are debating a scenario which we are not even aware ever happened.
> I'm still not saying that it never happened and will not happen but
> likelihood of such incident is just very small.
>

> No… You asked for an example of how an AS0 ROA could get into the wild
> erroneously and I presented one scenario which you are now arguing is
> unlikely.
> I agree that particular scenario may well be unlikely, but I’m not
> convinced it is the only circumstance in which such an event could occur.
> [...]

David Farmer               Email:far...@umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952