Hi Owen,

El 27/8/19 8:15, "Owen DeLong" <o...@delong.com> escribió:

On Aug 26, 2019, at 03:05 , JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.pa...@consulintel.es>
wrote:

Hi Javed,

I don’t agree, let me explain why.

The current process only talks about the meeting and the chairs have clearly
indicated that they take in consideration the list and the confer. Anyone from
the community that dislikes a consensus/non-consensus decision, could create a
trouble even in courts, because we are accepting consensus from sources not
documented in the PDP. Rewording it resolves the problem.

Furthermore, the current process has not an “in-process” appeal procces. This
will be ilegal in may legislations (may be only the AU applies, but considering
that the community is “the entire Internet”, may be this may be declared
illegal in another country where a member decides to claim for). The only way
(actually) to appeal, will be going to the courts. We should not aim to that.
We should have an internal way.

While there is no appeal process, there are sufficient iterations of approval
and ratification in the current process that I am not convinced an appeal
process is necessary.

I don’t agree on that. If today chairs decide that something is out-of-scope,
nobody has a way to change that decision. There is no way the community will be
able to discuss the policy proposal as a “policy proposal”, because the chairs
don’t accept it.

In the case of ARIN, there is a kind of appeal process with is the “petition
process”. Here we don’t have that. And is the only region where we don’t have
that.

I really think is very bad not having it.

I’m convinced the chairs always act on their best good faith and willingness,
but this scheme, without a way for the community to oversee the chair’s
decision is “per se” against the bottom-up approach.

Just imagine if we have a set of chairs that aren’t really acting in good
faith, but on personal interest (please understand is just an example, not
saying at all it is the present case). I don’t think we even have a way to
remove them.

Calling out the (remote) possibility that some jurisdiction might have a
problem with it is a red herring and absent actual legal doctrine within the
APNIC service region, I think it’s a bit far fetched to put that argument
forward.

Agree, but we need to understand that for sure there is a jurisdiction. And in
my knowledge (not being a lawyer), any process that doesn’t have an implicit
appeal process has lot of chances to be defeated in *any* jurisdiction. It is
much better to avoid that, right ?

This is now even more relevant to be resolved, because by chance, the chairs
have denied to accept one of the policy proposal that I’ve submited. They
consider it out-of-scope, and my reading is that is in-scope (it has also been
submitted and in-scope to RIPE, LACNIC and AFRINIC). I think their decision is
wrong and this has many implications that we need to work out. The best avenue
is having an “in-house” appeal process, of course.

You’ve been wrong about what should be in-scope before. I won’t cite the
specifics unless you insist, but you are more than welcome to discuss your
concerns about it with

I’m not talking here about any specific policy proposal, as said before, this
happened by chance. The inclusion of the appeal process in this PDP update was
done one year in advance this situation, so not related to it.

Paul and/or the EC and I’m certain you will get an appropriate response. While
it’s not a formal appeal process, I’m certain that if they agree with you that
the co-chairs erred, they will discuss the situation with the co-chairs and
come to an appropriate resolution.

Agree, and I talked to Paul about it. If I recall correctly, he only suggested
to go to the open forum, not him, not the EC. However, we don’t have time
allocated for it.

And furthermore, I don’t think it is savvy if this happens, that we must wait 6
months for discussing it in a meeting.

If you read the PDP, there is no definition of the scope and there is a
contradiction in the text
(https://www.apnic.net/about-apnic/corporate-documents/documents/policy-development/development-process/),
 as it says:

“Policy proposals are proposals which have been officially submitted for the
consideration of the APNIC community …” and then “A formal proposal paper must
be submitted to the SIG mailing list and to the SIG Chair”, while the *actual
process* is sending to the chairs, so they decide if is being sent to the list
or not!

Should anyone ignore the actual process and just send the proposals to the list?

Note that I didn’t knew, when I submitted the PDP update (which is a new
version from a the previous year proposal), that one of my proposals will be
considered by the chairs as out-of-scope. Clarification just so nobody believes
that it is related to that rejection! Chairs can confirm that.

I don’t think anyone is questioning your motives, Jordi. We all know that your
heart is generally in the right place, even if we don’t agree with you about
your desired actions.

We all know that you like how things work in the RIPE region. I will say that
I’m not as fond of the RIPE process as you are. I will also point out that
general apathy is not

Nope. This is not related at all to the RIPE process. What I’m saying is that
the APNIC process has clear inconsistencies and we should fix them, the same we
do policy proposals sometimes just to clarify text, not necessarily because
there is a “big” problem but possible different interpretations of an existing
text.

necessarily a bad thing. It depends on the reasons for the apathy. If the
apathy is because nothing bad enough to motivate people to action is happening,
then apathy is not the worst possible outcome. If the apathy is because people
feel disenfranchised and unable to make a difference, then the cause of the
apathy must desperately be addressed with all due haste. I do not believe that
people are disenfranchised in the APNIC region or that anything horrible is
happening in the APNIC policy arena.

I’m far less active on the APNIC list(s) than ARIN and AfriNIC. I’m more active
in the ARIN region because it is my home region and because I (currently) have
a leadership role there. I’m more active in AfriNIC because I believe there are
more problems there and policy development there needs all the help it can get.
I participate in APNIC when I feel I have something useful to contribute to the
discussion. Otherwise, I mostly lurk. I’d probably watch LACNIC if I spoke
better spanish. I’ve never actually subscribed to the RIPE PDP list. RIPE seems
to be doing what RIPE does well enough without my contribution.

Owen

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet